Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
xenocrates

Replacing network adapter

Hi everybody :smileyhappy:

I am happy linux user, running Ubuntu 11.04. Unfortunately I simply cannot get the Broadcom 4313 wireless network adapter in my Lenovo B560 to work. It worked (after A LOT of work with drivers and bash scripts) in Ubuntu 10.10, but after the upgrade I haven't been able to get it running. I can enable it in terminal using

ifconfig eth1 up

and then via the nm-applet, but neither of these two actions will make the card discover or connect to any access points. It simply acts as if there's no available connections.

After extensive searching for a solution I thought it might be easier to just replace the stupid Broadcom adapter with an Intel adapter or something similar. But is it possible, without hacking the bios?

Alternatively, do any of you have a way to get the adapter running?

Thanks in advance :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
dhdurgee

Re: Replacing network adapter

[ Edited ]

I read somewhere that swapping adapters is not normally done by anyone but Lenovo and that the BIOS is hard coded for a set of supported devices. You can find out which devices by looking at the options offered for other options for the same model you have and looking them up in the parts catalog.

I ran into this when I was looking for a laptop to work with Mint 11, which is based on Ubuntu 11.04, and found that the particular models my local dealer stocked had a card I could not work with. I could have ordered one from the Lenovo web site, but that was a model the dealer could not order and the dealer could not change the card out either.

If you have purchased this recently you might be able to contact Lenovo about changing out the adapter.

Dave

Blue Screen Again
xenocrates

I am having a difficult time finding specs for other options :/ Does Lenovo even have a contact mail, when it isn't concerning Think- or Ideapad?

Punch Card
dhdurgee