Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
JonathanChan

Rescuing system after messed up master boot record

[ Edited ]

so i uninstalled ubuntu on my w520 which messed up the mbr. windows 7 cd cant repair it, cmd commands can't repair it, and ubuntu software can't repair it. i decided to run ubunt usb and backup my personal data and use rescue and recovery to resotre the harddrive back to factory state but after backing up, i started my computer, and the thinkvantage button brought me to some bios startup thing instead of recovery. (and no, it was just options like "start from usb")

but i went back on ubuntu and checked my Q drive (lenovo recovery). i copied all the stuff from it and pasted into a folder on my harddrive. my theory was that i could run the copy rescue disk burner from my external harddrive on another computer with thankvantage software. (because it needs to use the burner) (tested on machine without thinkvantage software, it requires the "create rescue media" program in program files.)

so i just took my harddrive to my sisters x220 and ran the Q drive executable from my external harddrive. it ran successfully and i went through it and started burning a rescue media disk. just to check the burner didnt automatically redirect the source to the factory backup on my sister's own Q drive, i ran microsoft proccess explorer tool and checked. it was using the factory backup from the Q drive copy from my external harddrive.

The cd's are burning right now. im not sure if it will work but im sharing this so that if it works, other memebers of the community will be informed and might be able to use the same method to make a rescue media from an unbootable computer.

BTW this is my first post. point out anything i got wrong. this might not be the right place to even post it but i couldn't find a general catagory for dealing with this. figured most people who deal with linux installs get the same problem so i posted here. idk, apoligies in advance?

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Rescuing system after messed up master boot record

Please let us know if this works.  It's typical that once the partitioning has been modified (in any way) that the Think key won't boot the recovery partition.

I would have expected a MS install DVD to be able to get Windows to boot again - but not restore the Think button's ability to boot R&R.

The moral: People, burn your recovery media BEFORE messing with the partitioning.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Ctrl-Alt-Del
JonathanChan

amen
Ctrl-Alt-Del
JonathanChan

works!

so apparently, if you screwed up your computer, cant startup rescue and recovery, fine with restoring computer, files, not deleted, and wants to keep lenovo stuff, i got solution working. insert ubuntu live cd to run ubuntu, (or anything that can be used to rescue ur stuff) backup personal data, copy stuff from q drive. running the stuff from q drive from an external drive on a computer with the same version of r&r works.

just got my system back to factory state, thought id never see rescue and recovery work again.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
JonathanChan

o shoooot!!! some driver problems and several x220 manual i just found rolled out the problem. i checked my os too, its homepremium not professional. this is not right. so that means it went into the q drive and used that stuff.

***THIS METHOD DOES NOT WORK***

as for me, i have a copy of all the q drive diles from my previous windows. i replaced the new ones with the old ones. if my os ever comes crashing down, itll restore me back to my proper os. for now, driver stuff is fixed, additional software is download, ive settle in already. i guess ill use it for now