Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Amosbatto

Volume and brightness keys

luisr wrote:

I have this laptop, and have de issues with the volume keys....

How can solve this???' can you helpme ??

It can't be solved since X-Windows doesn't see those volume keys (at least xev doesn't show me anything). I think a special driver is needed for the SL which will pass an event to X-Windows. I worked around this problem by binding special keys to raise and lower the volume. See my post on the ubuntu forums about it. I also bound keys to raise and lower the screen brightness.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Amosbatto

Suspend on the Thinkpad SL300 in Debian Linux

[ Edited ]

I noticed that suspend works out of the box with Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64, but doesn't with Debian Lenny AMD64. When resuming from a suspend in Debian Lenny, I see a blank screen. I can get back to my X Windows session by pressing Alt+Ctrl+F1 to switch to a terminal session, then pressing Alt+Ctrl+F7 to switch to X Windows. 

I investigated the problem and discovered that Debian doesn't include the s2ram program in their default install, while Ubuntu does include it. Debian Lenny tries to go to suspend by setting ACPI to S2 with a kernel module, but the user space s2ram program is needed because it has the -s option to save the video card VBE information and restore it after exiting suspend. It takes two or three seconds longer to suspend while it saves the VBE info and a second or two longer to resume while it restores the VBE, but at least it works.  

Here is how to get suspend to work in Debian Lenny. (It will probably work in all distributions.) Install s2ram. In SuSE it is found in the suspend package. In Debian/Ubuntu it can be found in the uswsusp package, so you install it with:

apt-get install uswsusp

As the root user, you can suspend the laptop using the command:

s2ram -f -s

The best way to do this is to add s2ram to your /etc/sudoers file so an ordinary user can use it with sudo. Use the visudo command to safely edit the sudoers file:

su  

visudo

Add the following line to the end of the sudoers file:

ALL ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/s2ram

OK, now any user should be able to suspend the laptop without having to enter the password for root:

sudo s2ram -f -s

Because it is inconvenient to type out this command, I added an icon to my GNOME panel to go into suspend. Right click in a free space on the GNOME panel, in the popup menu, select "Add to Panel". Click on "Custom Application Launcher" and then click "Add".  Give it a name like "Suspend Laptop" and the command "sudo s2ram -f -s". Now you can click on this icon to suspend the laptop.

I prefer to suspend the laptop with a key combination.  To do this, as a normal user open the GNOME Configuration Editor with this command from the terminal:

gconf-editor

Go to Apps > Metacity > keybinding_commands.  Select command_1 (or any other free command) and enter "sudo s2ram -f -s". Then go to Apps > Metacity > global_keybindings and select run_command_1. Enter a key combination to go to suspend. In my case, I chose "<Control><Alt>s".  

Message Edited by Amosbatto on 12-24-2008 06:14 PM
Token Ring
Sxooter

Re: Suspend on the Thinkpad SL300 in Debian Linux

[ Edited ]

Nice tutorial! 

My experiences with 8.04.1 have been pretty good.  At first resume from suspend took about 45 seconds before the x server started responding.  Some update in the last two months fixed that and resume is quite snappy.

I use the intel melchiorre patched driver 2.4.1 and madwifi for the atheros chipset wifi and both video and network resume quite well.

In fact the only problem I have is with wired networking sometimes giving up the ghost and I just reboot it about then anyway.  It's usually after several days of uptime, switching back and forth, and suddenly it just stops working.   Probably once every two weeks. Only really happens after a suspend.

Oh, on an SL400, not SL300.  Just wondering if anyone had any insight into the wired networking thing.

Message Edited by Sxooter on 12-24-2008 12:15 AM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Amosbatto

How to restart networking

Sxooter wrote:

In fact the only problem I have is with wired networking sometimes giving up the ghost and I just reboot it about then anyway.  It's usually after several days of uptime, switching back and forth, and suddenly it just stops working.   Probably once every two weeks. Only really happens after a suspend.

Oh, on an SL400, not SL300.  Just wondering if anyone had any insight into the wired networking thing.

If the networking applet in the GNOME panel dissappears (which seems to happen a lot on my SL300), you need to restart the Gnome Network Manager:

sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart

That should restart not only the applet, but also restart all the networking interfaces.

Other Methods:

If the networking applet still appears on your Gnome panel, but the wired ethernet has gone down, you can restart it:

sudo ifdown etho

sudo ifup eth0

If wireless is the problem you can restart it in the same way:

sudo ifdown wlan0

sudo ifup  wlan0 

If you just want to restart all the networking interfaces:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

happy hacking, Amos
Token Ring
Sxooter

Re: How to restart networking

Hehe... I know all those commands.  None work, because it appears the actual card / firmware / driver are locked up.  I even tried rmmoding and modprobe -k ing the kernel modules and it wouldn't fix the problem.
Token Ring
garytr23

Re: SL400 running Ubuntu / Linux

I used ath5k in jaunty with the latest 2.6.28 kernel for a few days, and it has a few issues with various locations on campus, like the wireless will just die after a few minutes and I'll have to reload the module to connect to anything again at certain access points, also it won't recognize that an access point has gone missing after a suspend (since I physically moved it).  ath_pci (svn hal-testing) with my suspend resume script is still the best way to go for me, unfortunately. 

I'm still annoyed that stuff hasn't been fixed with the broken ACPI and brightness.

Here's the bug trackers that cover it for reference.  I wanna see all u folks complaining with me :-D

Note, this is Lenovo's fault to put out a buggy bios, a kernel dev (tetromino) came on the forum and notified them and even provided a fixed DSDT to solve the problem.  However, that gets paid no attention.  We end-users are hung out to dry

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=SL_ThinkPads&thread.id=1883 

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12249 

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/301524

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/311716

Lenovo SL300 Owner
earning an MSECE at GATech, with undergrad in BME.
Token Ring
garytr23

also, hdmi works, but the resolution settings are buggy with the intel driver at the moment for me.
Lenovo SL300 Owner
Paper Tape
wawacito

Hello - I'm a newbie with Ubuntu. Just installed 8.10 onto my new Lenovo Thinkpad SL400 laptop. Have installed all the updates that are available. I cannot get my integrated webcam to show up on Ekiga or Skype.

My kernel is 2.6.27-11 generic.

"lsusb" command tells me:
Bus 008 Device 002: ID 17ef:480b Lenovo

"dmesg | less" command tells me:
[ 13.943588] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
[ 13.995062] thinkpad_acpi: Not yet supported ThinkPad detected!
[ 14.096962] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 2
[ 14.097047] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: setting latency timer to 64
[ 14.113374] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Integrated Camera (17ef:480b)
[ 14.166562] uvcvideo: Failed to query (135) UVC control 1 (unit 0) : -32 (exp. 26).
[ 14.189693] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
[ 14.189712] USB Video Class driver (v0.1.0)

Does this mean it's not supported?
Is there something I can do?

I also have the volume buttons not working but the brightness buttons seem to work - interestingly they go opposite - when I click "-" it gets brighter and when i click "+" it gets darker.

I don't have the atheros problem because I got the intel 5100 wireless - works right on install with 8.10 (i checked this before buying and paid an extra $20 to upgrade to the intel wireless)

I forget what kind of video card i have but its the integrated one - never had the problem you guys are describing - however everyone once in a while on boot up I get a blank screen - i know its sitting at the login screen because i can hear the ubuntu drums - i just cant see anything.  rebooting will fix it - totally random

My biggest gripe right now is the integrated webcam not working

Token Ring
Sxooter

There's definitely been a shift at Lenovo away from Linux, and I'm willing to bet there's a back room payment somewhere from Microsoft to help that happen.  All it takes is a villa in Spain I guess.
Token Ring
garytr23

Erg... I totally bought one under the premise that lenovo's are good at linux.  but I had no idea it was an ideapad in firmware.  I'll be more careful I guess next time.  Maybe by the time it's obsolete, all the stuff will be working properly in linux.
Lenovo SL300 Owner