Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
dragosmc

Re: V570 UEFI problem

Actually I don't get the point of making a MBR partition on this kind of system.... but maybe I'm wrong.

Besides I wouldn't want to mess up my Windows booting...

802.11n
abvasili

I have tested installing Linux on different hardware uefi capable.

The point is, as thing are now, GRUB is a pain to be installed in GPT partition table. Reformatting your HDD in mbr (or msdos) partition table will delete your windows system, this is sure, but you will have a working GRUB. If you want to dual boot, the process will be a bit more difficult. Windows can load from a mbr or gpt disk, but Linux at the moment is OK with mbr (msdos).

abvasili

I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.
Serial Port
dragosmc

[ Edited ]

Well I get your point  but whenever I install Windows the GPT partition is automatically created...

anyway, can you be more specific about "formatting the whole HDD in mbr"..I'm not familiar with this...

802.11n
abvasili

Yes I know this is confusing. This is why I pointed you to the other thread. If your motherboard has a uefi bios only, than sure windows will install in GPT.

I can suggest the following: Using a special distro like gparted live, or an ubuntu based distro you can edit your HDD.

With a ubuntu based distro (or ubuntu itself) in live mode you can open gparted. Going at the root of your hdd, right click and you can choose to create a new partition table. Than choose mbr (or msdos) not gpt. This will delete all your data and windows will disappear. :smileyhappy:

Than you can partition and install your Linux (if I'm not wrong, you use debian).

If you want to dual boot, than this might be difficult. After creating a msdos partition table with a Linux live system, try installing windows first and than Linux. I haven't done this procedure yet, but I think windows will not change the partition table. If not, (make sure of this before installing Linux) you are free to go and install Linux and have a dual boot system.

I hope this helps.

abvasili

I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.
Serial Port
dragosmc

[ Edited ]

Well. my motherboard has Phoenix SecureCore Tiano (that's what is written on the boot device selection).

http://www.phoenix.com/pages/phoenix-securecore-tiano-tm

Is it a UEFI bios only ?

The point is that I really don't want to do what you said unless I'm certainly that at least Linux will boot.

802.11n
abvasili

Ok, I throw an eye (an albanian expresion :smileyhappy: ) to the link you provided. It looks that although this is a UEFI bios, it can support Operating systems that use old firmwares. So to me it looks that if you convert your hdd from GPT to MSDOS it will load Linux.

But I'm talking in theory. You have the right device to make a test and see what happens. Your experience will be of great value to others in your conditions. I wold gladly test it myself If I would have the same bios as you.

So, if you can take some "risks"... It will be very helpful to this forum. You can revert back with your factory restore disks to factory state in case you have no success.

Otherwise, at the moment I personally am running out of ideas in helping you. Maybe some other user can help you further.

abvasili

Serial Port
dragosmc

I will definitely do this but right now I have a deadline for a Java program for uni so I can't afford wasting much time on this problem... (and many nights of not sleeping because of installing and reinstalling Linux are starting to affect me :smileysad: )
802.11n
abvasili

Thanks for taking this into consideration dragosmc.

I fully understand you because I had to deal with a lot of Linux troubles... And sleepless nights also :smileyhappy:

I hope to hear from you soon.

Take care

abvasili

Serial Port
dragosmc

[ Edited ]

Ok. Here we are. I done what you said and finally the Linux booted. (I installed Fedora 14 and before that tried Fedora 16 but the last one wouldn't let me install because the /dev/sda1 was not GPT partition, or at least didn't have some kind of flags).

Anyway, thank you. Now the job is half done. I still have to install windows and reinstall Linux after that. Hopefully Windows won't mess with the partitions altough I have a feeling that it'll create a GPT partition and probably I'll be back from where I started, but still fingers crossed.

Dragos.

802.11n
abvasili

Personally, I really appreciate what you have done so far, and I'm happy Linux booted on your system. 

I'm waiting to see if you can dual boot now :smileyhappy: ... I hope so!

Thanks a lot for what you are doing!

abvasili