Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
dragosmc

Re: V570 UEFI problem

[ Edited ]

Ok so I've done some research about my F16 error and found this (too bad I didn't take a picture cos I don't remember clearly the error):

Starting in Fedora 16, on non-EFI x86 (32 and 64 bit) systems, anaconda will default to creating GPT disklabels (partition tables) instead of MSDOS disklabels. On these systems, when booting from a GPT-labelled disk, it is strongly recommended (not necessarily required in all cases, depending on the system's BIOS/firmware) to create a small (1MiB) BIOS boot partition. This partition will be used by the bootloader (GRUB2) for storage. 

That means that if Fedora 16 asks for  a GPT disklabel my system in a "non-EFI x86", right ?

LE: a possible workaround for the above issue is to give the "nogpt" arument to kernel when booting the F16 DVD. I'll try this next days...

802.11n
abvasili

From the link you wrote before, it looks that you have an EFI system.

And fedora 16 will try to create a GPT in all cases, from what I can understand from your post above.

Hopefully I understood the result of your search. Since English is not my native language, I hope I did not misunderstood something. Anyways a real test with a dualboot will answer all your questions :smileyhappy:

This is too personal, but take a look at linuxmint.com. They are the best at the moment IMHO. :smileyhappy: I have no experience with fedora (I Like their philosophy anyway :smileyhappy: ).

abvasili

I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.
Fanfold Paper
dragosmc

[ Edited ]

ok, I already had a look at it and got some writing error when I tried to burn the image, although the MD5 sum was ok.

(I'm not a native English language speaker so don't worry :smileytongue: )

I'll have a look at it again and probably it'll work.

PS: yes, now I see that my logic was wrong when stated that my system is not EFI based. apolgise for that :smileyvery-happy:

802.11n
abvasili

I'm waiting impatiently for the outcome of your quest :smileyhappy:

abvasili

I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.
Fanfold Paper
dragosmc

[ Edited ]

Ok so I've installed Windows and somehow it changed the disklabel back to GPT. After, I installed Linux Mint with the bootloader in /dev/sda1 (I chose this from the dropbox menu) and still boots automatically in Windows (%$#@ it !). I don't know what else to do ... I was thinking to install Linux, then Windows the reinstall GRUB. (But I'm starting to have a repulsion for installing any kind of OS.

So back to the drawing board...

Dragos.

802.11n
abvasili

[ Edited ]

Isn't this challenging? :smileyhappy:

I have another idea... But first, can you explain what method did you used to install windows? What version of windows?

abvasili

Fanfold Paper
dragosmc

[ Edited ]

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit ... I don't know what's to explain but I'll try...

So:

1- i've entered in the boot menu

2- choose CD

3- entered in Windows boot/install wizard

4- choose advanced mode

5- deleted old linux partitions and created new windows ones

5.a - Here I was informed that windows will create some other needed partitions  (GPT and MSR)

6- proceded with installation

7- that's it !

PS: Yes, it's very challenging... but that's how Lenovo looses a customer...

Punch Card
kschumake83

sorry that rescatux didn't work for you. i have a b570 which i thought was the same thing except that you have a sim card slot on the v570. but then again i dont dual boot i use linux exclusively and my hard drive is partitioned ext3.
Fanfold Paper
dragosmc

[ Edited ]

I was thinking to install the 32-bit version of Windows because I heard that it won't try to turn the HDD into GPT. And as a matter of fact I really don't need the 64 bit version right now cos I only have 4GB of RAM...

802.11n
abvasili

What I was thinking is, try to install WIndows from USB. Use Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool and create a bootable USB stick. Installing from the usb usually gives a non-uefi installation. But first you have to convert your hdd to msdos again.

Another thing, today and tomorrow I will be away from the laptop, but I'm thinking to dedicate the whole Sunday to this issue. And I will test the possibility to dual boot windows and Linux in pure UEFI mode. If I succeed I will prepare a how to.

this Is all I can do (can I do more?)

abvasili