Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
ormu
Accepted Solution

[T410] Disabling HDD standby-mode

I just installed Linux Mint (kernel 3.0.0-1) onto my Thinkpad T410 and I noticed that the hard disk goes to standby mode quite often when there's no load and I think that this causes some "lag" when I try to do something and the disk has to spin up again. Is it possible to disable this feature or at least set the standby time delay to something like 10 minutes (hdparm, but with which parameters)? Is it possible to change it in the operating system or BIOS or is it hard-coded into the drive firmware? The "Turn off hard disks" option in Xfce power manager settings is unchecked.

Some drive info (hdparm -i):

Model=WDC WD2500BEVT-08A23T1, FwRev=02.01A02

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: [T410] Disabling HDD standby-mode

According to The Google, the -S parameter is supposed to do it.  I haven't tried it.

hdparm(8) - Linux man page

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество