Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
wajda
Accepted Solution

ThinkVantage (or alternative) for Linux. Does one exist?

Hi guys, Is there any software similar to ThinkVantage that runs under Linux? Mostly I'm interested in following BIOS updates and such for my T510. Thank you!
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: ThinkVantage (or alternative) for Linux. Does one exist?

Hi,

there is nothing like TVSU for linus.

By linux you can only use the Update managers, to get your OS updated, but nothing that yould update your BIOS, that would be provided directly from lenovo.

The point is, that the TVSU application is always connecting to a web repository, where it is looking for updates.

The last time I have checked, this repository do not cantain any linux update files for notebook systems.

In case you are using Linux, just do a BIOs update using the boot CD.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Punch Card
wajda

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Would not bet on it

Blue Screen Again
rssb

[ Edited ]

Why would you not bet on it ? Lenovo internally is not that keen on providing thinkvantage utilities for Linux ?.

The last one seen / available to download is only for T60 series, which is locked to a particular kernel level.

Linux with Thinkpad tools / utilities would be more appealing to professional users who crave for a unix type environment rather than going to Mac's because of its unix features.

There are other options to run VM's inside windows, but ability to run native Linux would be much better.