Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
boyanib

Re: Thinkpad X1 using Ubuntu 12.04: Terrible fan noise

Don't worry about ruing it, at some temperature (63º) the fan is set to maximum, if that doesn't decrease the temperature in the worst case the hardware is supposed to turn it off but I have never seen this case. I have been working at 83º CPU temperature for several minutes and it was ok.

The default settings are fine:

(0,    0,    55)
(1,    48,    60)
(2,    50,    61)
(3,    52,    63)
(4,    56,    65)
(5,    59,    66)
(7,    63,    32767)

sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp1_input
sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp2_input
sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp3_input
sensor /sys/devices/virtual/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input

(note that the last lines depend on your modules, these work for my X1 with Ubuntu 12.04 (64bits) and kernel 3.2.0-24-generic.)

If you worry about the temperature use lm-sensors to check the temperature and the fan. Also, install Psensor (from repositories as well) which places an applet on your panel and can be set to raise a warning when reaching some temperature.

Configuring this sort of things is a pain. It is not difficult but it is annoying. I would pay whatever necessary if they shipped my Thinkpad with a working and tested Linux distribution on it. We linux users are busy people as well, some of us also hate configuring things :smileysad: But Lenovo works for the monopolists.

Paper Tape
lhenry2k

Boyanib,

since thinpad_acpi does not provide temp reading using /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal on my  X1 gen 1 type 3640, i'm trying to understand how you got those

/sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/tempXX_input

on your system .. i do have only 

/sys/devices/virtual/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input

and seems the CPU temp.

Anyway running thinkfan i get an error  because  /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal is missing 

TPfanco was always my companion on all my TP but acpi module for X1 is not ready yet for the X1:

I'm really unsatifyed with this expenive piece of HW, the noise at 3200 RPM is unacceptable  

Paper Tape
lhenry2k

Solved the thinkfan run error   ( /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal is missing ) editing sensors on the right file (/etc/thinkfan.conf)  

Paper Tape
boyanib

I use have the thinkpad_acpi module in the kernel.

modprobe thinkpad_acpi

Punch Card
Pegasus_Actual

I am running 14.04 and my X1 Carbon is completely silent. No fan noise at all.