Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
chargersfan420

Re: Ubuntu Linux Support

[ Edited ]

josepy wrote:

Any progress on this front?

We have made some.  All speakers are working now, still NO optical drive, and I was wrong about the card reader, it doesn't seem to work.

Instructions to get all speakers working:

- first, make sure the bass switch on the front of your computer is set to ON - otherwise, you're wasting your time here.

- from terminal, type:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Add this line of code to the end of the list.  If there is already a model listed there, then replace that line of code.  It should be at the bottom of the list:

EDIT - If there is already a model listed there, comment it out by putting a # in front of the line.  This way the computer will ignore the old line of code and you don't have to delete it - if you have problems, you should revert back to this default line of code.

options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-nb0763

for Y510 users, and

options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dell

forY710 users.

Save and close the file.

Reboot, and then open the volume control panel.  Go into Edit - Preferences, and check off everything (at first - change as you see fit later).  For Y710 Users, go to the Options tab and select Channel Mode to "8ch".   Then back on the playback tab, make sure that the following channels are NOT muted - PCM, Front, Center, LFE, Side.  The Front should control the front speakers, the Side channel should control the speakers by the screen, and the Center and LFE channels should both control the subwoofer.  The surround channel does nothing in this configuration.  It may not be the best option, but it works pretty good for my liking.

The optical drive problem is driving me nuts.  I've been googling and experimenting for a month, and i'm not getting any closer.  Nothing new to report here. 

If you're using Ubuntu on one of these models, i strongly suggest you check out the forum i mentioned in a previous post here.

Message Edited by chargersfan420 on 09-11-2008 10:38 AM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
arixavier

Hello, I also got the Y710 and everything works well with the exception of the CD/DVD rom not showing at all, have anyone found a solution to this problem?

Appreciate it a reply!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
arixavier

I forgot to mention that I'm using ubuntu 8.04...
What's DOS?
jtayl22

Can we convince Lenovo to provide BIOS V1.1 (06CN31WW.exe) in a format that doesn't require windoze for installation?  You would think that with so much Linux Ubuntu interest on the Y510 that Lenovo would have more respect for the community.
Serial Port

Don't count on it.  If I recall correctly, Lenovo is cutting back on what little Linux support it offered (seem to remember reading that a month or two ago), and they never supported Linux on the IdeaPads.

So we're on our own.  It's a shame, because at least in my case, Ubuntu runs a hell of a lot better on their machine than Vista or XP ever did.  Running Windows was sort of like running a car that demands premium on regular unleaded, and watching if clunk along.  I think there's a huge market they're missing here.  Maybe with the economic squeeze, something will change, but I'm not hopeful, and I'm keeping my options open for my next laptop.

Running Ubuntu 9.04 on an Ideapad Y510
Serial Port
Cargojack

I would love to run some Linux variant on my Lenovo S10.  I do not want to get rid of XP on my S10, I just want to be able to run Linux off an 8 Gig USB drive.  Has anyone visted www.moblin.org ?  I am not that technologically adept, so if someone could explain in a simple way how to load up the files allow my USB to boot up an alternate OS, I would be ever so appreciative.

Thanks!

Token Ring
garytr23

anyone managed to get the brightness control working?  I have an SL300, which thinkwiki believes shares the same firmware as ideapads, so I figured i'd ask you folks.  I can set it manually with the /proc/acpi/... stuff, but it's annoying.  Do you also have problems with volume buttons?
Lenovo SL300 Owner
earning an MSECE at GATech, with undergrad in BME.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
arixavier

Brightness and volume keys work as normal on mine Y710 with Ubuntu.

The DVD issue and excessive HD activity gets fixed with Lilo instead of GRUB on the MBR...

Question: Anyone been able to find a driver for XP for the second display (Game Zone)? 

Serial Port

There's been some breakthroughs with brightness over at the ubuntuforums -- check this post to see what's up with customizing the DSDT.
Running Ubuntu 9.04 on an Ideapad Y510
What's DOS?
lxapp

Does someone know how to make the subwoofer working in a Y500 series laptop with Ubuntu 10.04 running on it?