Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
jbeard4

Re: W520, Debian 64-bit (Testing) + VT enabled

FYI, there is a related bug on Ubuntu launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/776999

There are some reports on the Lenovo forums that this has been resolved in Ubuntu 12.04 alpha (Linux kernel 3.2.0.18.20) for both the proprietary NVidia and the Nouveau drivers:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/64-bit-Linux-W520-amp-nVidia/td-p/577789

Punch Card
Mainframe_Snob

Does not help me I am afraid.

Lenovo should provide a DEFINITIVE ANSWER on whether they have a BIOS problem (ACPI tables etc.) or not.

Regards,

Aubrey

Paper Tape
jbeard4

@Aubrey, I agree that this absolutely looks like a BIOS bug, and that Lenovo should take responsability for this. However, in @Mark_Lenovo's response, he make it very clear that Lenovo will not investiage issues relating to Linux. I agree that this is distressing, especially after purchasing a high-end machine, and premium support.  In the future, I feel it is unlikely I will purchase another machine from Lenovo, due to these issues.

Punch Card
Mainframe_Snob

"@Aubrey, I agree that this absolutely looks like a BIOS bug, and that Lenovo should take responsability for this. However, in @Mark_Lenovo's response, he make it very clear that Lenovo will not investiage issues relating to Linux. I agree that this is distressing, especially after purchasing a high-end machine, and premium support.  In the future, I feel it is unlikely I will purchase another machine from Lenovo, due to these issues."

I would agree with you here. At some stage, Lenovo will regret their doze strategy and lose customers. Not good.

Aubrey

Serial Port
damonlynch

As I've indicated before in this forum, I'm using 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04, VT-x is enabled, and the Nvidia binary display drivers are installed. The problem was fixed using this combination a while back. Hopefully the fix will land in Debian eventually.
Punch Card
Mainframe_Snob

Have just tried Ubuntu 12.04 with NV drivers, VT-x enabled and must say that the problem(s) that I have described in earlier posts STILL EXIST.

Shame on lenovo.

Paper Tape
hansbee

Under BIOS 1.36, Ubuntu 12.04 Beta2, Linux xxxx 3.2.0-21-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 30 04:25:35 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux, the problem still occurs.

When I disable VT-d, it becomes stable but I guess VMWare becomes slow and I bought the laptop for use of VMWare.....

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/776999 gives interesting information.

ndeed, with the nox2apic kernel option, I can still enable VT-d, nvidia 295.33 and things stay stable.

But whats is impact of nox2apic ? That you have to keep devices running with less IRQs ?

Its a shame that Lenovo doesn't do anything about this.
Maybe the new distro releases (Ubuntu, Mint etc) will give some pressure on Lenovo when ppl start complaining that they bought a high end that doesn't boot right out of the box with Ubuntu etc.

How different from the IBM days when Linux got very well supported on Thinkpads.

Dark clouds start to form over America.
regards
Hans

Punch Card
Mainframe_Snob

lenovo (note the small capitals) WILL NOT be my next choice of Laptop.

Shabby, arrogant way of treating a problem.

Punch Card
Mainframe_Snob

I dislike very much doing lenovo's work for them.

See https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43054.

Dankje Amsterdam!

Aubrey

What's DOS?
webmonarch

Not to clutter with more me-too(s), but I am now less likely to continue with Lenovo if this doesn't get resolved.  

My last laptop was a Sony, and I didn't continue with them for similar reasons.  I hate buying a premium machine to have these types of fundemental issues compromise things.

It's a shame.