Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
killer_silence

W520 & Ubuntu Problems

[ Edited ]

Hi every one...

I spent a month to choose my first laptop, and I chose to go with W520. I read this thread 2 months ago, but I chose to take the risk because I could not find a better machine.

I bought my W520 40 days ago, and I was too satisfied with it, until last night. I was doing nothing, just listening to music and surfing web. It suddenly froze, I held the power button and it shut down. But when I power it on, I get this error " Invalid partition table "

I really don't know what to do. I am using an Ubuntu Portable USB right now, but I really want my windows back.
I called the customer service today, and they told me that all they can do is to send me a recovery CD.

I can not mount my hard drive in Ubuntu.
Does any one know how I can use the pre-installed recovery partition?

Here are my w520 specs:

Intel Core i7-2760QM Processor (2.40 GHz, 6MB L3) - NVIDIA Quadro 1000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory - 4 GB DDR3 - 1333MHz - Intel 160 GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA

thank you guys :smileyhappy:

Moderator Note; posts moved to here out of another thread, subject lines edited

Guru
harrisb

Re: W520 & Ubuntu Problems

[ Edited ]

Can you see the SSD and the size that is reported? It sounds like the Intel SSD had failed (possibly with the 8gb firmware bug). The recovery CD will be useful, but you probably need the SSD replaced as well before you can restore the system.

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
Punch Card
killer_silence

[ Edited ]

Thanks harrisb,

I tried to install Ubuntu, but I recieved an error, No root file system is defined, and I could not see th SSD and its size.

But I used the option Test Memory, before loading Ubuntu, and now I can see the SSD and the size as you can see in the picture, but I can not still install ubuntu because I get the same error message.

Do you think the SSD has failed and I have to replace it?

Thank you for the time

Token Ring
Chatbox

[ Edited ]

That's because you haven't specify the partition to be mounted as "/"  <-- aka root.

Essentially, it's like in Windows where you say, "Use this partition as the C drive".

*NIX systems uses the concept of mount points to map partitions to a single tree structure, instead of a multi-tree (multiple drive letters) in Windows.

P.S. From this point forward, you should try getting assistance from Ubuntu forum.

Paper Tape
bluelake

Re: W520 shuts off intermittently, no BSOD or shut down

A quote from W520 user's manual.

"Turn on the computer; then, while the “To interrupt normal startup, press the blue ThinkVantage button” message is displayed at the lower-left of the screen, press the ThinkVantage button. The Rescue and Recovery screen opens."

Hopefully, the interrupt is before the invalid error.

Punch Card
killer_silence

[ Edited ]

Dear Chatbox

I tried to follow this post :

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/05/04/manual-disk-partitioning-guide-for-ubuntu-11-04/

as you can see below:

Link to picture

it says I have 160041 MB of free space on my SSD, which I don't.

because I did not format or delete the data on my SSD. I have used more than 40 GB of space on my SSD, windows applications and etc, but it says it is all free so I am afraid to continue because I really need the data on my SSD.

I will try to remove the SSD and connect it to another machine using a SATA to USB cable and try to transfer the data to a safe place.

Thank you :smileyvery-happy:

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Punch Card
killer_silence

Re: Re: W520 & Ubuntu Problems

[ Edited ]

Dear bluelake

Yeah the interrupt is before the invalid error, but when I press the blue ThinkVantage button the "Rescue and Recovery" screen does not open. What happens is that a boot manager opens, which I have 4 options. you can see them in the picture...

Link to picture

Esc continues to normal boot which leads to the invalid error...
F1 enters the BIOS, where I can not do anything about recovery

F12 loads a boot manager page, which I can see my SSD drive listed there, but when I choose to boot from SSD the page goes blank and the boot page loads again
and CTRL+p enters the Management Engine, which I don't know what it is, and I am asked for a password there!!!

Do you know what Intel boot agent is?

Because when I power on my laptop if my external hard drive is connected to the machine I see the invalid partition error, but if the external hard drive is not connected to the machine, another page loads, which is the intel boot agaent...

It does not do anything special though, it finally leads to the page where F12 leads, but it is strange...

Thank you...

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Paper Tape
bluelake

Also in manual.

To start the Rescue and Recovery workspace, do the following:
1. Make sure the computer is turned off.
2. Repeatedly press and release the F11 key when turning on the computer. When you hear beeps or see a logo screen, release the F11 key.
3. If you have set a Rescue and Recovery password, type your password when prompted. The Rescue and Recovery workspace opens after a short delay. Note: If the Rescue and Recovery workspace fails to open, see “Solving recovery problems” on page 117.
4. Do one of the following:

• To rescue files from your hard disk drive or from a backup, click Rescue files and follow the instructions on the screen.
• To restore your hard disk drive from a Rescue and Recovery backup or to restore your hard disk drive
to the factory default settings, click Restore your system and follow the instructions on the screen.

Punch Card
killer_silence

Dear blulake,

I have done all this but it does not work. There is no workspace...

and unfortunately I do not have a backup...