Support in other languages: 
802.11n
emmjay
Accepted Solution

Wireless driver for Lucid Puppy

I am new to Linux and I have been trying out a few things to get more familiar with it.   A total newbie!!!

I just downloaded Lucid Puppy to a flash drive and tried it out on my X200.  I quite like it.  It boots directly from the flash drive.  Just what I wanted. However,  the wifi does not seem to be seen by the OS.  (Intel Pro/Wireless 5100 AGN) ...  Does that mean I need to download a driver specific to Lucid  Puppy  to get it to work?   I did a search on the intel website and found information about a driver that includes the 5100 and it is for Linux, however there was nothing to click on. If I need this driver, how do I get it?

My laptop has W7 on it and the WiFi works great from windows and when I use an old Ubuntu CD, the wifi also works just fine, so I have never had to deal with driver issues before.   

Or is it just a matter of enabling something from somewhere on Puppy?  

T23: 2647-8RU, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
A61E: 6418-12U, W7/Pro 64
X200: 7454-CTO, W7/Pro 32

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 140
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

Re: Wireless driver for Lucid Puppy

The Wiki in the Lucid Puppy community does not show any documentation on configuring Wireless networks. What is the kernel version of the Linux you are running?

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
802.11n
emmjay

I downloaded 528, 2.6.33.2.

802.11n
emmjay

I figured this one out ... finally.:smileyhappy:

I do not have a driver problem.  The Intel 5100 AGN works just fine with Lucid Puppy.  I got it  to connect without incident at a public wifi hotspot and I saved the profile as the default. I needed Lucid FF.pet in order to use the public WiFi network. . I had downloaded the file from the Lucid website to a CD from windows. My CD drive which is USB connected would not mount on Lucid puppy so I could not get FF installed. I tried a myriad of options but it would just not work.  I then copied the file from windows to a pendrive (fat32 formatted) and when I connected it to my X200 and clicked on the file, it installed automatically. No hastle and fast. I then connected to the internet and the browser opened. I was on the internet.  

I must say that I am very impressed with Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.  It is great for someone who wants a light, fast OS to use at a Public WiFi hotspot. All of the user activity is in RAM, so it is lightening fast. I think it is also the most secure way to use OPEN, unencrypted, insecure networks. My HDD is not mounted so my personal files are unavailable during the network session. I can browse the network, get my emails (very fast) without the threat of intrusion ( yes,  low-lifes  cruise open unprotected networks, I am aware of this).  I turned on the firewall that comes with Puppy and I do not have an antvirus appl. running.  The speed is very impressive. 

I have not tried to install a wireless network from my home (I use a wireless G3 dongle provided by my ISP). I understand that this can be a challenge. My preference is to use W7 from my home, so I will not be setting up this connection.