Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
dhdurgee

Z560 strange battery/charging system behavior

I just encountered something strange and was wondering if others are seeing it.  I am on vacation in Hawaii and the power company did some unscheduled maintenance on the pole yesterday in front of our unit which took out power abruptly for a time.  My Z560 was plugged into the wall and initially appeared unaffected.  I found out otherwise when I attempted to use the Z560 this morning and found it in what seemed to be hibernation.  Hitting the keyboard had no impact, hitting the power button once caused the login screen to popup, but it immediately went back asleep and was unresponsive after the first such try.  I finally wound up pulling the power cord, which resulted in a cold boot when I plugged it back in and hit the power button.  Thankfully the system recovered fine from the abnormal disconnect of power.

The power object on the toolbar appeared to indicate the battery had completely discharged despite being plugged into the wall, so it is as if at some point the charging system had been knocked offline.  Perhaps I could have caught this earlier had I noticed the power object state, but I missed it.  At this point the battery now shows as completely charged and appears functional, so I am puzzled how the charging system got disabled.

Dave

Retired Guru
Duck3

Re: Z560 strange battery/charging system behavior

[ Edited ]

From you Hitting it!  :smileylol: (Just kidding)

When the power went out, most likely the ac adapter
was not reset if you left it plugged in.

Unplug, replug, it is reset, and charging begins.
Meanwhile, it ran off battery until it drained.

Punch Card
dhdurgee

Re: Z560 strange battery/charging system behavior

Strange, I didn't think of there being anything in the adapter sufficiently sensitive to require resetting.  I guess if I had taken a closer look after the power failure I would have noticed the battery was still discharging!

Dave