Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
kschumake83
Accepted Solution

dual boot on lenovo b570

ok so I am starting a new job and it requires winblows. So now I need to dual boot my lenovo b570. I successfully installed windows 7 to mbr (not gpt) and ubuntu. I downgraded ubuntu's bootloader to grub legacy, and now it will boot to ubuntu only (and yes I ran sudo update-grub). If I run sudo os-prober it shows windows there, and if I use the grub2 disk it will find and run windows. I just can't seem to be able to get grub to see it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What's DOS?
wise_words

Re: dual boot on lenovo b570: success with V570

Notta problem...

This email was written from a dual-boot Lenovo V570 with an i5, 6 GB of memory, and a nominal 650 GB HD, combining W7 Home Premium with the new Ubuntu 12.04 beta 1.

Firstly, forget legacy grub and EasyBCD.

Before doing anything, make and verify restore DVDs. In installing Ubuntu, opt for the manual installation placing Ubuntu in an extended partition designated as root (let's call it sda5), accompanied by an extended swap partition (we'll call sda6). For a pair of V570s, I deleted the empty primary LENOVO partition to do this, and verified that a one-step restore would work without it (which turned out to be respectful of new partitions). W7 C: partition should be shrunk within Windows disk management to about half its size (limited by immoveable files). For the two V570s I set up, this left about 300 GiB for Ubuntu.

Before starting with the Ubuntu LiveCD (in this case 12.04 "Precise") installation, set up the wifi for updating as you install. In terminal, type sudo rmmod -f - acer-wmi, and then clicking on the network indicator symbol, insert the necessary

hidden network information. Now that you have wifi, proceed with installing. Use the manual partitioning option to allocate the remaining space as ext4 / (root), and then create a swap space about 1 1/2 times your memory (i.e. here, about 9 GiB  as sda6). Before continuing, set booting from the extended root partition (i.e sda5). Then proceed, following the remaining instructions.

On rebooting, it's back to W7, but insert the LiveCD again and restart, going to terminal. In this case, having mounted sda5, the instructions are:

sudo su

mkdir /mnt/root

mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/root

grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/root  /dev/sda

umount /mnt/root

reboot

On rebooting, this will take you to the grub screen, which you can test for its dual-booting options. Once you are into Ubuntu, wifi should be the first order of business, for updating and installing utilities such as GParted. So in terminal, to be kind to the kernel, use sudo modprobe -r acer-wmi. Then in preference to echoing (to ease commenting):

cd /etc/modprobe.d

sudo nano blacklist.conf

At the end of the file add

# acer driver blocks wifi (or a similar comment)

blacklist acer-wmi

Then save. You now have wifi permanently. Next, you want to update.

For newish machines, I recommend going to recent Ubuntu versions, to take advantage of kernel improvements and save messing around with drivers.

Good luck,

Richard

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: dual boot on lenovo b570

What does /boot/grub/menu.lst look like?  With grub legacy and the usual dual boot layout, I'd expect something like this for the stanza that boots Windows:

title WINDOWS
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        makeactive

chainloader +1

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

What's DOS?
wise_words

Hi Zoltan,

In searching, I don't find a menu.lst file anywhere in Ubuntu 12.04, although I well recall editing ones in the early versions. There seem to be major changes in Precise, although it's sufficiently logical that I've been able to do several tweaks to make it fit our needs. Incidentally, the current update gives a cleaner booting menu.

With the intensity of my messing around with Precise, I'd have to say it's pretty robust (even as a beta),-- by now, I'd have reloaded the earlier versions several times. Unity is different from the legacy formats, but it's enjoyable to work with, and for anyone familiar with the netbook remixes, a natural step forward.

The Lenovos are nice machines, and really worth the effort.

Best wishes,

Richard   

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Hey Richard,

My question was aimed at the OP.  Sorry I wasn't  clear.

The OP had installed grub legacy, and couldn't boot Windows.  I suspected a missing or incorrect boot stanza in menu.lst.  Still do...

I wouldn't expect a menu.lst in a newer distro that uses grub2.

Thanks for the info.  It's all good :smileyhappy:

Later,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

What's DOS?
wise_words

Hi Zoltan,

No menu.lst anywhere on our dual boot Lucid (10.04) machines either. But I found some notes for setting up a couple of dual boot, dual drive desktops with Intrepid (8.10). After "2.6.20-15 kernel", menu.lst had these changes:

title  Windows 2000/XP

root (hd1,0)

savedefault

makeactive

map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

chainloader +1

These were pretty bomb-proof, and I expect the same legacy recipe would work with the necessary labelling changes.

Best,

Richard

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Richard,

Those "map" lines apply to situations where the dual-boot installs are on different hard drives - AFAICS.  Same for the root (hd1,0).

You see that when BIOS is told to boot of the 2nd drive (via F12 on ThinkPads, for instance) and grub sees the 2nd drive as drive 0.

The stanza I posted or something similar should be sufficient for a single-drive dual-boot install.  I just built a dual-boot box (my 10th or so...) and that's what a Windows boot stanza looks like.

@kschumake83 What does menu.lst look like?

Z.

Punch Card
kschumake83

sorry for not replying sooner. i had an issue with my computer and it had to be sent in for warranty. i saw that there were a lot of posts replying to me so i wanted to say that im sorry for not answering questions that was asked of me and that im going to read through them in depth now and reply to everything. even though i tried the wubi thing and it seems to do exactly what i want it to, and i may stay dual booted like this through the windows bootloader.

Punch Card
kschumake83

when i was doing it that way menu.lst only would show ubuntu and nothing at all for windows no matter how many times i would run the sudo update-grub. only os-prober would show windows. i ended up tri-booting for a bit untill my computer went on the fritz because linux mint just works so i put a small mint partition on the hard drive and used it to update grub. now i tried the wubi installer and i always thought it was actually running ubuntu as an app in windows (like a virtual machine) but here it seems to be running by its self, and it is a very efficent way to do this, simple and works well. so anyways thank you all for the replys and like i said before sorry i had no decent way to get on these forums (and without a computer no reason to) and reply earlier.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Glad you got it working.

I was going to suggest that you manually edit menu.lst to add the windows boot stanza, but it sounds like you don't need it now.

Thanks for reporting back.  If you feel that the issue is resolved, please hit that "accept as solutions" button.

Z.