Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
radiskull
Accepted Solution

intel 5100 wifi card

I was looking into putting some variant of linux on my t500 and had been reading some of the forums when I saw something that snagged my attention.  I saw a couple postings saying the stock wifi card could support monitor and injection with the current linux driver and a couple postings that were non descript and a couple postings saying no.

So can it?

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 350
Solutions: 234

Re: intel 5100 wifi card

Hi radiskull,

Yes, it will support injection, but not out of the box.  

Google your question and you'll find the source.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
radiskull

Thankyou topmahof.  I wondered and figured, but wanted to double check before I messed something up only to find something differant out. 

I will go to the source..

Punch Card
radiskull

okay okay.  I hate kicking a dead horse people seem to be really nice around here and I don't want to agitate people.  I saw a couple postings that mainly pointed to downloading the driver file and invoking such and such a script.  One posting I saw on Linux forums stated to update the firmware.

That seems well kind of a bit much. Do i really have to update the firmware?

Punch Card
radiskull

side note: I understand the driver. The firmware does seem a bit much. I didn't think the equipment was that outdated.
topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 350
Solutions: 234

From what I understand, the only reason you'd have to modify any firmware is if someone was putting that card in a machine that didn't support it because of the whitelist.  

Seeing as how that's your stock card, you shouldn't have to do anything except for scripts.

You're not going to find your answers on a linux forum.  You need to go the the Utility site that you're going to use for injection. I can't link to the sites because there are subjects there that are, let's say, questionable.

If you were going to use a card that would work out of the box, like an atheros card, yes, because it wouldn't be in the whitelist, you'd have to modify the bios.  You could use a USB card that is supported, like maybe an Alfa, but that would depend of the chipset that is being used by the Alfa.

Dave 

You're not bothering anybody with your questions, keep them coming.

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
radiskull

Believe me I understand when it comes to the linking. 

Thankyou for clearing this up.  On the board the guy seemed adiment about the firmware bit.  I have never EVER had to do that.  Seems like it'd be my luck though.

Anyways I will take my concerns to thoe programs if I need further explanation on the subject not that I am saying I'd use something that's questionable.