Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
zoglog

Issues with the N5902 Multimedia Remote/Keyboard's Optical Finger Navigation

Hey all,

I just got my N5902 Multimedia keyboard direct from lenovo's site and I've been having some major issues with the Optical finger navigation (trackball replacement) functionality. Basically It's not registeing my finger movements left and right well at all. it's incredibly inconsistent and fustrating. Up and down movements are better but not perfect.

Oddly i've found putting a napkin on my finger or moving my finger through my shirt on top of the OFN makes it move much more flawlessly.

Bottom line, I'm wondering if I have a defective unit here or if anyone''s having the same issue.

If mine is defective I'm wondering how to even initiate the process to get a replacement asap. I would hate it if I have to go through a normal RMA process and pay for shipping back even though they shipped me a defective unit.

Paper Tape
karrun

Betreff: Issues with the N5902 Multimedia Remote/Keyboard's Optical Finger Navigation

Okay, just registered to reply to share my experiences. Anyone know why the web page is in German when I selected English?

Anyway, I don't think I have the same issues with the optical navigation that you are having. I am used to the old trackball, so it is taking a bit of trial and error, but with my limited experience so far, it seems responsive enough. What I am struggling with is the backlit function. I press a key and have to wait maybe 5 seconds to light up, sometimes more like 10 seconds. then it shuts off again after a few seconds and I have to go through it again. Seems to me the light should come on as soon as any button is pressed. And also, I thought the backlit function was supposed to remain on until the remote was turned off? Maybe I'm wrong about that, but with the linited instructions that came with the product, it's difficult to tell.

Looks like maybe we both got defective products?

What's DOS?
zoglog

Betreff: Issues with the N5902 Multimedia Remote/Keyboard's Optical Finger Navigation

Interesting, maybe we have different defective parts.

My backlight has no issue turning on right away when pressing a button. Since your OFN is working fine I have a feeling mine might be defective now. it's very clearly not working as intended. 50% of the time I swipe my finger left or right it doesn't even move. up and down swipes are far more reliable. And as posted before, having a layer between helps even more.

Maybe there is a layer on top of the OFN they forgot to add?

What's DOS?
dpham20

Re: Issues with the N5902 Multimedia Remote/Keyboard's Optical Finger Navigation

I'm having an issue with the remote where it keeps tabbing through all my windows. Like I'm holding down Alt+Tab on my keyboard. Whenever I turn it on it just tabs over and over and over. I reformatted my entire computer thinking that I somehow got a virus until I just put it back in and it started tabbing.

Paper Tape
therd3

I can not belive the instructions that came with this thing.

I love mine but want to know how things work. Can I program a key? How does the back lite work? Shame on Lenovo for such a bad manual!

What's DOS?
trennal

Re: Issues with the N5902 Multimedia Remote/Keyboard's Optical Finger Navigation

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem.  It worked fine for a while.  Until you recommeded the paper/shirt, it hardly moved.  With paper it is like normal.

Did you ever get a resolution?  I could not find how to obtain warranty service for this item.  Lenovo's web is not very user friendly.  And, to the point, I cannot consider any further purchases from the company.

What's DOS?
ever4us

Mine worked for almost 2 months, then the mouse stopped working. I have also found the lenovo site to be terrible. I doubt I will purchase anything from them again.

What's DOS?
trennal

I took a piece of tape and covered the optical sensor and pulled it off.  I did that twice and it started working again.

Guru
hausman

I find that moisture on the finger can interfere with the sensor. When the pointer becomes unresponsive I either use the index finger on my other hand or use a small cloth to wipe my finger and the top of the sensor.