Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
cas61

No ehnanced keyboard on startup

[ Edited ]

I have a Lenovo Enhanced Performance Wireless Keyboard with the USB connected to a docking station. When I insert my W500 ThinkPad into the docking station and turn it on, the enhanced keyboard doesn't work until the laptop goes through the startup script (I have to use the ThinkPad keyboard). After that, everything seems fine and I have all external keyboard functions. I am using Windows 7 Enterprise but the only installation disk I have for the keyboard is for my old OS, XP. This started recently, but not in conjunction with the upgrade to Windows 7.

I have to enter a user name and password to access the laptop. What do I need to do to make the keyboard available when I turn the laptop on? I have re-synced the keyboard and USB, and installed new batteries in the keyboard. My Device Manager says my HID Keyboard Device Drivers are up to date (6.1.7600.16385). -- Thanks!

Lenovo Staff
solar

Re: No ehnanced keyboard on startup

Do you use port replicator or mini dock? Can you please specify that? Might be it work a bit different way in each.

I guess you tries to use USB dongle in notebooks USB port instead of in docking.

Jan Solar
Product Marketing
(not a technical support)
http://blog.lenovo.com/author/jsolar/
Paper Tape
cas61

It is a mini-dock. I have not tried switching the USB to the laptop's port. I leave it plugged in the dock because I only use that keyboard at my desk. When traveling, I use the laptop's keyboard.

Lenovo Staff
solar

Seems to like problem in Windows installation. I'm using Windows 7 on T420 and Minidock Series 3 with Wireless Plus kleyboard and mouse and dongle on dock and it works without any issue. I can log in with Wireless keyboard.

The reason I suspect OS is that it sounds like it works after some driver is loaded. For me the driver is loaded already during windows start. Can you try eg. remove installed driver and use Windows general driver for the keyboard (I know some functionality might not work like special keys)? Trying to isolate the issue.

Jan Solar
Product Marketing
(not a technical support)
http://blog.lenovo.com/author/jsolar/