Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
ssray23

Please advise : Thinkpad Travel Keyboard and ThinkPlus USB Keyboard with UltraNav

Hi,

I use a Dell Latitude 630 notebook at my office. Now, I am really fond of my R61 Thinkpad's keyboard and want to extend the same keyboard feel to my Dell  Latitude notebook in my office also.

I understand there are two products from IBM Lenovo:

1. ThinkPad Keyboard with TrackPoint, TouchPad & USB hub USB Black
   Model Name  31P8950

2. ThinkPad Travel Keyboard (compact size) with TrackPoint, TouchPad & USB hub USB Black
   Model Name  31P9490

What I also understand is that both are essentially same - its just that the travel version is lighter, more compact and lacls the numeric keyboard.

Now my questions:

1. Can I just hook on the above Thinkpad keyboards to one of the free USB ports of my Dell Latitude notebook and start using the USB keyboard right away?

2. Do I need to install the drivers that would come with these Thinkpad keyboards? What benefits will these drivers give me? Will they not conflict with the Dell keyboard drivers already installed on my Latitude notebook?

I am confused here.

Please advise ...

Thanks in advance,
Suddha Satta Ray

community supermod
erik

Re: Please advise : Thinkpad Travel Keyboard and ThinkPlus USB Keyboard with UltraNav

the differences between the two are exactly as you say -- one has a numeric keypad and the other does not.

the keyboard will install without drivers.   you will need to install drivers for the ultranav features to work (tapping, scrolling, etc.) however.

everything should be compatible with your dell.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30