Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
davehinder

Slim AC Power Adaptor - clicking noise

Recently (last 2 months) I purchased a 90W Slim AC Power adaptor to use with my X61 at university. 

For the first few weeks I enjoyed the bliss of having a compact adaptor which could also charge my phone (slim Nokia tip).

But recently, the adaptor has been making a rapid clicking noise whenever the converter 'box' (for want of a better term) it is plugged in to the powerpoint (Australian for the things in the wall which appliances plug in to). 

Also, it appears that the power adaptor will no longer charge my phone. Ultimately it's quite annoying - I use it in lectures, and feel very conscious that it's a rather audible sound. And for $220+ AUD I do expect silence...

Has anyone else experienced this problem? 

Any ideas what might be causing it?

And do I need to keep a fire extinguisher to hand when using it? (IE how worried should I be / will continued use lead to catastrophic damage to anything). 

Any insight appreciated :smileyhappy: 

Regards,

Dave

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: Slim AC Power Adaptor - clicking noise

Hi davehinder, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

If it started making a noise, and it no longer charges your phone, I would call it in for a warranty replacement.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Paper Tape
davehinder

Thanks bananaman :smileyhappy: 

I'll do that... I have also discovered it isn't charging the laptop any longer, so that has helped push me that way...

Paper Tape
davehinder

So Lenovo sent me a new slim AC Power Adaptor. 

This one also seems to have stopped working. 

What gives? Fortunately this one is within the Warranty period. But it's ridiculous. Are they just defective??

What's DOS?
canglan

Hmm, I bought mine. It charges fine but it makes audible buzzing noise during charges, is this normal?

Bit Torrent
Vince69

Look like all the aussie slim adapter are cactus. I wanted to buy one as well but for the price i'm just not sure it's worth it.

I'm pretty sure the buzzing noise is not normal.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Broadband 3G
JDay

Vince69 wrote:

Look like all the aussie slim adapter are cactus. I wanted to buy one as well but for the price i'm just not sure it's worth it.

I'm pretty sure the buzzing noise is not normal.

The buzzing noise is caused by the use of non solid-state capacitors. I really do not know why everyone is not using solid state capacitors these days. Not only are they silent but they last much longer too.

Serial Port
CustomerX

Mine also makes a buzzing noise even when it is just plugged into the wall but not charging any devices. I was going to call in about it, but it sounds like this will happen with all Slims. :smileysad: