Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
pnzrdrgoon
Accepted Solution

Slim USB Keyboard 54Y9250 F-key lock

My company just bought a few Lenovo desktops and they came with these slim usb keyboards.  We happen to use the F1-F12 keys in our customized application.  The problem is that instead of just pressing F3 we have to now press and hold the Fn key + F3.  Is there a way to get those keys to be the F* keys instead of changing the volume or putting the computer to sleep without taping the Fn key down or something?

Bit Torrent
Vince69

Re: Slim USB Keyboard 54Y9250 F-key lock

Hello mate,

It's in the BIOS. You have an option Fn Key Lock. It's in the config menu under keyboard/mouse. It's disabled by default.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

What's DOS?
klutchrider

[ Edited ]

I don't know if you solved this issue yet, but I had it occur and through a few threads later and a google search.  It is as the above user said, download http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-75582.html, install and then run it.  Click on the checkbox to revert the FN keys to regular F1-12 keys.  Hope it helps!

Moderator edit: Fixed link.

Paper Tape
Somanath

Hi, Install the slim keyboad application from below link http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-75582 And then open the application from start - programs -and check the option using F1-F12 as standard function keys

Lenovo Staff
solar

The website moved

The website moved http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-75582

And it should look like this

Jan Solar
Product Marketing
(not a technical support)
http://blog.lenovo.com/author/jsolar/
What's DOS?
lgillespie

We have the same issue on one machine of 4 with the slim keyboards, it does not hold the setting.  We will do the below and then after a period of time we will have to go to the below and remove the checkmark and then reselect to get the F keys to work as standard. 

Paper Tape
tgerbert

I'm using a Group Policy Object to set the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LTON_HIS\Lenovo Slim USB Keyboard\ZeroForHotkey (REG_DWORD) to 1. The applicable packages in the download, cited by others in this thead, can also be distributed via a GPO (i.e. to account for use of this keyboard on a non-IBM system that wouldn't have come with the driver pre-installed) - this way you can just do it once and never have to worry about it again.

What's DOS?
paulrw1

There is no visible BIOS setting for this, and the utility only works in windows. We have clients who use terminal access to Unix servers, and that take no notice of the settings - function keys don't work at all. Why did Lenovo make the crazy decision to put these rubbish keyboards on business machines? We used to be able to sell the computers on the strength of the keyboards, now we have to sell them despite the keyboard, and it seems in a lot of cases charge extra for a proper keyboard when we throw the supplied one away. I have yet to find a single person who likes the slim keyboard, and finding it doesn't even work properly is a real blow.