Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
cluxter

T400 : Dvorak keyboard?

Hi

I would like to get a Dvorak keyboard for my ThinkPad T400 (2764CTO) instead of my original US keyboard.

I really doubt there is a way to get one, but do you have a tip to perform that? This link doesn't give me a lot of hopes : http://www.syzygytech.com/2007/04/19/dvorak-thinkpad/

Maybe a great and unknown company could do customized keyboards for ThinkPads?

Let me know!

Thanks

Cluxter

community supermod
erik

Re: T400 : Dvorak keyboard?

at this time only QWERTY keyboards are being offered.   there simply isn't enough demand to produce dvorak layouts.

my only suggestion would be to change your keyboard layout in your OS to dvorak and carefully remove and replace your keys in the correct order.   the keys will pop off with a little effort.   just don't force anything so they break. :smileywink:

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Fanfold Paper
cluxter

erik wrote:

my only suggestion would be to change your keyboard layout in your OS to dvorak and carefully remove and replace your keys in the correct order.

That's what I thought and tried but this is not possible because the mecanism under the keys is not always exactly the same for each key (sometimes it's inverted, or turned on its side).

I guess I will have to spend a lot of time to learn my Dvorak keyboard... :smileysad:

Serial Port
france

[ Edited ]

I tried to re-layout the keyboard of my T60 laptop.. most of the keys fitted to their original position. Had problem with keys D,U,F,G,H, J, T, X and I only. Most of these keys have their places empty in original QWERTY layout. So all the nine unfitting keys fit to the vacant positions. If I get my hand on dvorak, I may use stickers to change the face of these keys.

My current drovak-like keyboard layout is:

' , . P Y D U C R L / =

A O E F G H J T N S -

; Q X J K B I M W V Z

Paper Tape
bdpq

I don't know if you have already found a solution for your keyboard but here is a recommendation for you.

You can consider going to a local sign shop that offers laser etching service and have them etch the Dvorak layout over your keyboard.  It is advisable to remove the keyboard befere doing so.  Having the entire laptop under the etching machine can be risky.

The shop I went to was a keyboard specialty shop in Japan, they even helped me removing the standard qwerty layout with a special chemical with no charge.  I paid for about $40 US dollars for their service to etch about 37 keys.  

You can even choose from several type faces.  very nice.

802.11n
johnv474

(Not OP, but...)

Very cool.  I hadn't thought of that option.  Thanks.

What's DOS?
interarticle

From the experience of a Dvorak user:

If you have the spare time, learning Dvorak while using a QWERTY layout keyboard does help you remember the key positions very well. This way, you'll become proficient at Dvorak faster and type faster as well. For me personally, it took no less than 1 month to grasp Dvorak this way, but the end result is very satisfying.

One problem is that you cannot find the key you want on the keyboard while learning without resorting to the Dvorak keymap, so I recommend prining out a keymap and keeping it handy around your computer.