Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
gotGOLD

Re: ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse 41U5008

eric, I think I already posted my specs in an earlier message. I have an Intel Wifi card.

My idea with the other thread was to draw more attention to this particular issue. This thread was originally created for general discussion about 41U5008. But I'll delete the other thread since no one has picked up on it yet. Thanks for your concern.
community supermod
erik

since you have an intel card my hypothesis is shot.   if i get a chance this weekend i'll work with my X61 to see if i can find the cause since it still has the problematic installation from my T61p.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Fanfold Paper
Tusi

Hi,

I have Atheros Wifi card, and I also think it might interfere with the BT radio. :-)
Last Thursday I worked on a wired LAN, and, as I remember, I did not experience the hangup with the mouse. I'll repeat this "test" later this week, and I'll let you know the outcome.

Zoltan
Fanfold Paper
Tusi

Hi All,

I have upgraded my Atheros WLAN driver to version 7.4.2.57, and I did not experience the hangup problem since that (~1.5 days). :smileyvery-happy:

I downloaded the driver from http://www.atheros.cz

My T61 is equipped with ThinkPad 11a/b/g, and I took the chipset type (
Atheros AR5006EX) from here

I hope it will help you, too.

Cheers,

Zoltan
Serial Port
gotGOLD

Hi,

My mouse has been working fine for many days straight but hang-ups still occur when I have been using another bluetooth device with my computer. My WLAN is Intel 4965AGN but I don't think that wifi would be the source of my problems.

My solution for now has been that every time I need to connect e.g. my cell phone with my computer I just re-start the system afterwards when I need to use the external mouse. This isn't an elegant solution though and I'd really like to find out a better solution for this.

Is there any official Lenovo customer help that I could e-mail or phone? It's a shame that two Lenovo (ThinkPad) products won't work together properly.
Paper Tape
tdwhite

I have a T61 running XP SP2, with the Broadcom Bluetooth Bus Enumerator driver version 5.1.0.3100, Broadcom ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate driver version 5.1.0.2900, & Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN driver version 11.1.1.11 as well as the Lenovo BT laser mouse - Model MOBTC9L, ASM P/N 41U5009.

The mouse has been (boarderline extremely) frustrating. It pairs intermittently & once paired seems to drop the connection intermittently, on top of the problems described previously such as delayed response if not used for a short period or need to re-pair after waking the laptop up. I ordered a replacement thinking it might be the mouse but the replacement has not faired much better.

It would be nice if it would pair once, stay paired while the laptop is on & simply re-pair on it's own when the machine & mouse are first turned on. Is this asking too much? I know that for my phone and BT headsets I simply turn on the BT & they pair - no intervention required. For this silly mouse I must manually pair it every time I boot my laptop. Is that normal behaviour?

I'm going to try updating the BT drivers & if that doesn't work I'm going to return both mice & ask for my money back.

Has anyone had any success getting this mouse to work reliably with XP?

TIA,

tdw

Serial Port
gotGOLD

[ Edited ]

Hi tdwhite,

If you've read this thread you probably know that I'm having some issues with  41U5008 as well. My system configuration is T61 XP sp2, Broadcom Bluetooth Bus Enumerator driver 5.1.0.4601,  Broadcom ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate driver version 5.1.0.4700, Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN driver version 11.5.0.36.

I've had no problems what so ever with pairing the mouse to my computer. I just encounter strange drop-outs when doing certain things e.g. using BT with my cell phone. What I generally know about Bluetooth devices is that once you pair your devices (i.e. register MAC addresses) you shouldn't have to do the pairing process again unless one of the devices is losing information about trusted devices.

You should definitely try updating all your drivers. Tell me how it worked out.

And btw, what's your mouse's firmware version and driver version (Control panel -> Mouse -> Bluetooth&Hardware). I've got firmware 2.69 and driver 1.9.1.1.

Edit: Corrected two typos in version and product numbers.

Message Edited by gotGOLD on 07-12-2008 11:01 AM
Paper Tape
tdwhite

Hi gotGOLD,

Thanks for your response. I updated to Bus Enumerator driver 5.1.0.4601 & Enhanced Data Rate driver 5.1.0.4700. I got this update off of the lenovo support site. My mouse firmware & driver are the same as yours. It seems to have helped; but, I'm reserving judgement until I've had a chance to use it for a few days. I'll post another comment later this week or early next to describe how well it works.

The other change I made was to turn on the option "Let other Bluetooth devices discover this computer." I had this turned off as I don't like the idea of having 'open' / 'public' connections to my laptop. Having turned it on, now if I turn on the mouse then turn on the laptop, they do pair automatically.

This brings up another concern that someone may use another device (cellphone, computer, laptop, ... ) to connect to my laptop and snoop around. Is that possible?

On a related note, can you pair more than one device to the laptop at a time? I thought one of the limitations of the Bluetooth technology was that it only allowed a device (i.e. laptop) to be paired with one other device at a time. But I had the impression from this thread that people were pairing their cell phones & mouse to the laptop at the same time. Can anyone comment on this?

TIA,

tdw

Serial Port
gotGOLD

tdwhite,

A Bluetooth master device can have up to seven active devices connected to it (this type of ad-hoc Bluetooth network is called a piconet). So yes, multiple BT devices can connect to a laptop at the same time.

If you enable other devices to discover your computer's Bluetooth it basically means that your computer will tell other devices information about it's Bluetooth services when promted so. This however doesn't mean that your computer would accept any requests without a passkey. Some mobile devices like cell phones can be set to accept some OBEX objects (e.g. business cards) without any prompts but I believe that a laptop will not accept anything without user's confirmation. If you want to be really careful you can always turn off any Bluetooth service that you're not likely to use frequently.

So I think you're safe if you let other devices discover your computer. Just don't accept any suspicious requests. And you can always do like I do and turn off your Bluetooth to save battery while you're on the road.

Paper Tape
tdwhite

gotGOLD,

Thanks for the info.!

I'm going to try that. I'd basically like to pair two, maybe three, devices to my laptop: mouse, cell phone to sync my calendar, contacts, ... & maybe a headset to listen to music.

I'll have to try this & report back how it works for me.

Thanks again!

tdw