Support in other languages: 
Punch Card

ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse 41U5008

Has anyone tried this mouse?

ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse

Stumbled across it on the Lenovo website recently and I'd be curious to know how it performs.
erik

Re: ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse 41U5008

[ Edited ]
it looks to have the new "soft touch" finish from the X300.

i'm curious if the scroll button can click like the microsoft mice and if the click function be programmed.

Message Edited by erik on 03-13-2008 01:46 PM

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Punch Card

I don't know about programmability, but it is described as having three buttons, so it would appear that the scroll wheel is clickable.
erik

i saw the "3 button" comment and thought the same thing.   some of lenovo's product descriptions are much too vague.   larger photos would help, too.   this is a mindset left over from the IBM days that lenovo needs to overcome.

either way, i just ordered one and should have it on friday or monday if i'm lucky.   it'll be my first bluetooth mouse.   i'll post some feedback here as soon as i get a chance.

Punch Card

Thanks Erik! Very close to getting one myself but I was hoping to find at least one person who had already tried it before I ordered one.
erik

no problem.   given what i'll be spending on new hardware from lenovo when my orders show up, a $49 mouse seemed cheap enough to say 'why the heck not!' :smileyvery-happy:   what pushed me the most was that it will free up a USB port on the X300 and should pack easily for travel.   as long as it's both accurate and programmable then i'll be happy.

i'll be back in a few days with a run-down. :smileyhappy:

andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 679
Solutions: 609

erik, your spending spree continues :smileywink: does the Misses know? :smileysurprised:

Don't forget that using a BT mouse you will be cutting down your battery life by a good bit... BT is also not 100% secure should someone be snooping.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

erik

andy, i never tell my girlfriend what this stuff costs.   it's bad enough trying to explain my hobbies let alone the stuff i actually use for work. :smileywink:

the only time i use a mouse is at a desk so battery life is no big deal.   security isn't a concern as i work from home and bluetooth's range is limited.   although, installing lead walls isn't out of the question. :smileyvery-happy:

erik

tracking info was sent last night and i'll have the mouse on monday.

i did some quick research and found the overview page and documentation page for the mouse.   it says the "scroll wheel also acts as programmable third mouse button."   i couldn't find a recent download for the lenovo mouse suite software to find out exactly what functions can be done, but i'm guessing it will be pretty flexible.   on my microsoft mouse i use the function to invoke the "flip 3D" function in vista to switch apps.

the illustrations in the user manual are horrible (they look like someone's first attempt at using adobe illustrator) but show how the mouse unlocks and flips open to install/replace two AA batteries.   there's an on/off switch and bluetooth pairing switch on the bottom.   and, it sounds like it goes into a low-power state when not in use to save battery power.

i'm impressed so far.   now i just have to wait until monday for my new toy to show up. :smileyhappy:

erik

the mouse showed up today.   it's much smaller than expected at about 2/3rds the size of my microsoft intellimouse explorer 4.0.   weight is significantly more, which is a positive for me as i dislike lightweight mice.   even though the TPBT mouse is smaller, i don't mind the difference.   it'll be easy to pack for use on the road.   size is about 95mm x 55mm x 32mm (LWH).

setup under vista ultimate x64 was painless.   i installed the software, enabled BT on my T61p, tossed in the batteries, powered on the mouse, held down the BT pairing button for 3 seconds, and watched it connect.   drivers for vista 32/64, 2000, and XP 32/64 are included on the CD.

i haven't received the X300 yet so this mouse is my first experience with the new "soft touch" outer coating.   it's much like the sides of my blackberry curve or the backs of most modern motorola cell phones.   i look forward to this being standard issue on thinkpads.

about the only negative i can say about the mouse is that it's unexpectedly small.   it's more of a travel mouse than one for everyday use, although i will still use it every day since 90% of my mouse work is done with the trackpoint.

if you have any questions then please feel free to ask.