Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
terminus

ThinkPad USB Keyboard is not fast enough

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have an ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint. The problem is, the keyboard can't cope with my typing speed! I think it has this new age feature to protect against accidental key presses, so a key has to pressed a certain amount of time to be registered. However, as by the the "keyboard customizing utility" this time is already set at minimum! (fastest keyboard operation).

I didn't know I was such a particularly fast typist, but apparently I am. The worst part is with words that contain double letters. Always only one letter is recognized, unless I type slowly. Another bad thing is with backspace. If I have to delete less then 20 letters, I don't keep backspace pressed for a long time to delete multiple letters at once, but instead I press backspace repeatedly, very fast, for the required number of time. I think I'm faster for less then 20 letters. Of course this doesn't work with the ThinkPad keyboard, if I press backspace 20 times, I only delete about 5 letters or so.

Is there an option to completely disable this new age behavior?

PS: I also get this behavior on my ThinkPad T400. I hope there's a software solution and the hardware isn't designed to act this way!

PPS: Also I must add that the Shift key is not immediately released. When I type Shift + letter and then I immediately type another letter, I get 2 capitals. This is very bad with titles, I end up with "THe PResident of the UNited STates".

Thanks.

~ Decadence is Bliss... ~
Serial Port
terminus

Re: ThinkPad USB Keyboard is not fast enough

I must add this problem manifests only on Windows, so it's a software issue. On Linux it works fine.

Punch Card
careta

Hi terminus,

I'm sorry I can't help you with your problem, but can you confirm it works perfectly with Linux, no double shift problem or slow typing speed?

I want to buy one but I only use Linux.

Thanks for your help and good luck!

Serial Port
terminus

Yes, the keyboard works perfectly with Linux, FreeBSD and OpenSolaris (that's what I tested). This stands true for both the USB external keyboard and the ThinkPad keyboard. It's an awesome keyboard.

What's DOS?
dlazar

Unfortunately, the keyboard hasn't been working too well for me with Linux.  I've never had missing letters, even when typing fast, but I do see the "sticky shift" issue.  I frequently get DOuble CApital LEtters because the shift doesn't release fast enough.

Also, the sensitivity and the speed of the track point cannot be set for this keyboard, as it can for the laptop version.

The keyboard itself is indeed awesome, it wouild be great if LEnovo found a way to address these issues.

Punch Card
jeskeca

I also have the 'stick shift' issue on Linux and the keyboard is unusable as a result.  I suspect folks that don't have the problem do not type fast enough to create it. For reference, I type between 80-120 wpm. I would think people who typed less than 40 wpm might not notice the sticky shift. 

I also agree with diazar, I miss being able to set the trackpoint sensitivity and speed separately. With the new keyboard the trackpoint seems to silently be an additional mouse, and I don't see any way to set the speed of the trackpoint differently than the speed of my regular mouse. I have only one setting, and unfortunately one setting does not come out right for both devices. 

For now I'm back to using the discontinued USB travel keyboard with ultranav (with the trackpad, that I turn off). I have a couple extras, and I hope they fix the flaws in this new model before I run out. 

What's DOS?
laxxy

Same problem here -- unfortunately makes the device entirely unusable (under Vista at least)

I am wondering if I should return it now or wait in case there is a software update...