Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
mlinehan

USB UltraNav keyboard problems

I have a model SK-8835 external USB Trackpoint UltraNav keyboard attached to an advanced minidock model 2504 and a T60p model 2007-CQ8 running Windows XP. I have the latest BIOS and drivers and Windows fixes.

I have the following symptom: when I use the middle button to scroll, sometimes the scroll function ends up being left on when I release the button. The external keyboard stops responding to mouse clicks. I have to click on the mouse buttons on the internal laptop keyboard to get out of scrolling mode. But then sometimes I can't click on buttons in the Windows task bar.

I have a second problem: I have disabled the touchpad on the internal keyboard via the "Ultranav" tab on the Mouse settings window. But I can't find a way to disable the touchpad on the external keyboard.

I tried to install the "Think/Travel USB Keyboard with UltraNav Hotkey driver v2.0.1.3" (q5kyb07us13.exe) from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-60649 but I get this error message and it refuses to install: "A newer version of the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver is installed. If you want to install the older version of the Driver, please uninstall the current Synaptics driver by selecting "Synaptics Pointing Device" from the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel, and then run setup again." But there is no such program listed in that control panel.

Punch Card
jwid8

Re: USB UltraNav keyboard problems

Hi mlinehan,

it seems like you are having a problem much less similar to mine the first time i used this keyboard.

it works flawlessly now for me after doing this:

1.download and install the keyboard driver (lenovo.com)

2.download and install the hotkey driver (strange you are having a difficulty installing this, if you successfully install this it is possible that the problem is just gone imho)

3.download and install keyboard customiser (lenovo.com, if you do want to customise the short-cut functions)

well, since you are stuck at step 2 at the moment, i doubt that i am much of a help here anyway, hope it helps.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mlinehan

Thanks for the ideas.  However, I've already done #1 and #3 and I can't get #2 to install.  So I'm still stuck.
Punch Card
jwid8

yes yes that i'm pretty sure that the hot key driver must be the source of the problem.

anyway this is a very good keyboard, but somehow i feel like it has too many flexing spots (i.e everywhere except the palm rest) what do you think?

Do you like the key travel distance and the click sound of it? 

Paper Tape
bafoster

Hello,

I just upgraded my Thinkpad from a T61p to a W500 and am using the same UltraNav external keyboard.  I can only use the center button to scroll in my Firefox browser.  It does not function in other windows (although the center button of the TP keyboard does).  There is likely a simple configuration solution but I have not found it.  The drivers in steps #1 & 2 in the previous post have been installed but I cannot locate the keyboard customizer (nor do I know if I need it).

In short, how is the third button enabled for scrolling in all windows?

Thanks in advance,

BDF

Paper Tape
bafoster

I would also like to disable the touchpad on the external keyboard.  Does the keyboard customizer provide that capability?  Would appreciate a link to the keyboard customizer as I did not find it when searching the Lenovo site.

Regards,

BDF

Paper Tape
bafoster

Found the keyboard customizer:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-44185

But it did not solve either problem:

• Still cannot enable the third button for scrolling in most apps.
  • Cannot disable the touchpad

(both issues are only on the external keyboard)

Regards,

BDF

Paper Tape
bafoster

Please help.  I see lots of views but no suggestions so far.  Not being able to scroll is a big inconvenience.

Thanks,

BDF

Paper Tape
lioncall

Agree, not being able to scroll is a huge inconvenience.

Having scrolling issues on Visual Studio 2010 even after installing latest Nov 09 ver 1.02 driver.

Looks like the issues getting addressed in latest ThinkPad Trackpoint drivers http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-66893.html. Is there a way to install these drivers? 

Thanks,

Paper Tape
box1217

after installing that track point driver i get the error non-trackpoint systems cannot be installed. i am using the ks8835. its a usb keyboard from thinkpad with the touchpoint.