Support in other languages: 
Topics: 16
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 15

Insane idea...franken thinkpad...

[ Edited ]

Last day I was in some random browsing and I ended to look at the Thinkpad Edge 11''  review.

Seem a pretty nice evolution on the internals and on the battery consumption side, unluckily it has a glossy screen, unlike the our beloved X100e.

So I will not buy that notebook

but

I searched for a photo of the opened notebook and I find it...t

Do you thing that resembles something ? :smileysurprised:

I think it does... (this is the x100)

So what I think is that (probably) the EDGE's mainboard is completely the same mainboard with a different processor soldered on it and a different bios.

I bet that is possible to have the best of both worlds, matte screen, high computational power, wwan,  and low power consumption, just swapping the x100's MB with a spare EDGE's one.

Surely that spare MB will cost an arm and a leg, but is still an option.

What do you think ?

erik

Re: Insane idea...franken thinkpad...

it's basically the same system.   if you could get an Edge 11 system planar, you could upgrade the X100e.   i've actually considered this myself.

you may want to wait until the next system refresh though.   there just might be an update to the X100e of interest to you. :smileywink:

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

[ Edited ]

Yes I'm aware that the next refresh will be probably a better idea, but just for the pleasure of experimenting a bit...

The thinkpad 11 is too young, seem that no e-shop has the spare system board available.

The only option should be a broken EDGE on ebay.

P.S. what has to do this thread with the photo room ?

Ok there are a copule of images, but i think that the tread is still an X100e related one...

erik

i didn't see who moved it here but the photo board is where we're currently putting photo-heavy modification threads.   we've been considering a dedicated mod/frankenpad-type board if enough threads can be collected.

being here will keep it from getting lost.   if placed in the X-series board, it would eventually get buried in all the posts asking for drivers, specs, the location of the power button, etc.

anyway, i agree that finding an Edge 11 planar isn't easy right now and ebay may be the best way to find one.   the i3-380UM planar (FRU 04W0314) is available through IBM here in the US but they want $1023 USD retail for it. :smileysurprised:

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Thanks for the reply.

The thread was moved by AndyP, he explained that the weight of the images was the reason, i  have explained why  i have not resized them.

So no problem at all .

Wow, the intel system board is very cheap :smileyvery-happy.