Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Boddaker

Lenovo Sensei

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone, I was chosen as one of the top 4 designs to compete in Lenovo's Mod Contest!  I've been working on this project for a few weeks now, so let's get you up to speed.

(@ moderators, if there is a more appropriate place for this log, please feel free to move it. Thanks!)

Here is my concept/idea:

The Lenovo Sensei is an A700 IdeaCentre with a built-in HD projector underneath, creating an indispensable teaching aid that could replace the age-old dusty chalkboard. Having both components integrated together would enable the teacher to instruct his or her class more dynamically. Assignments could be projected onto a large screen or wall in front of the class. The teacher could run education software, play videos & DVDs, and keep track of all the students' progress, all in one compact unit. Think of it as the chalkboard of the future! Features include:

* 23" widescreen LCD monitor with Touch Screen capability
    * Slot load blu ray drive
    * Integrated DLP projector 1280 x 800 Resolution
    * Hybrid laser/led technology, 3 low wattage power modes
    * HDMI connection between A700 and projector
    * Well-ventilated housing to keep system cool
    * Cabling kept to a minimum, with only power cords emerging out of unit
    * Buttons on projector relocated as well as other I/O ports to maintain functionality

With everything that the all-in-one Lenovo A700 offers, paired with the detailed display capabilities of the DLP projector, the teaching possibilities are virtually endless!

Here is the A700 set up on my desk.  Came with wireless keyboard, mouse, and an air remote control.

Removing the back panel, you can see the slot load blu ray drive and the computer cover.

Taking the computer cover off reveals the hard drive enclosure and the motherboard.  I was surprised to see a full-size drive and not an SSD.

Here is the DLP projector I'll be integrating.  It's a Casio A240.  I chose it for it's low profile and energy efficient lighting system.  It has 3 power modes: 270W (Eco Off) / 190W(Eco On Level 1) / 130W(Eco On Level 2)

Rough placement of the projector, centering the lens with the A700.

I'll take some measurements from here, and construct a cardboard template of the new base that will house both components.  I've been doing some design mockups in Sketchup, so once I finalize that, I'll post up some preview pics.
Thanks for looking, and good luck to the other modders! :smileyvery-happy:

Moderator note; moved from General board.

moderator note: images restored.

Blue Screen Again
Boddaker

Re: Lenovo Sensei

Made a short video of my idea:

Lenovo Sensei Concept

Gives an idea of the overall concept & functionality.

Blue Screen Again
Boddaker

[ Edited ]

I've been playing around with different designs for the base, and finally settled on what I think will look the best and be functional at the same time.  The next step was to figure out what materials to use to make it.  The following is my first attempt, making it out of aluminum sheet.  It didn't work out too well, so I'm calling this a prototype. :smileytongue:  The real deal will be made out of acrylic.  To save time I will have it cut from 1/4" acrylic.

In the mean time, here is my prototype construction:

This is one of 30 or so fins that will be stacked on either side of the projector (15 on each side).  The projector gets extremely hot, and needs adequate ventilation.  These fins will help facilitate getting fresh air into and out of the base and projector.

I designed the fin's shape to follow the projector's curves around the lens area.

Speaking of lens, I need some kind of center piece to bridge the gap between both stacks of fins.  I wanted to match the curvature of the projector, so I made up a piece from clear acrylic.

Approximate placement.

Still need to cut an opening in the center where the projector lens is, but I'll wait until I know exactly where they will mate up.

While I'm waiting for the pieces of the base, I will be adding a bit more functionality to this computer.  That will be in my next update, so stay tuned!
Ok this brings you up to date.  I have less than two weeks to finish this for the contest, so I'll be working on it every day!
If you like this project, and think it deserves to be shown at CES in January at Lenovo's booth, please vote at the following link:  http://www.whatsyourideaoffun.com/us/content/lenovo-sensei

Thank you!

moderator note: images restored.

JaneL

Boddaker wrote:

Hey everyone, I was chosen as one of the top 4 designs to compete in Lenovo's Mod Contest!

Congratulations!!

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Blue Screen Again
Boddaker

[ Edited ]

I wanted to add some extra functionality to the case (you can never have too much functionality), so I decided that a built-in removable drive bay would suit this mod nicely.  If this was employed in a multi-user setting, each person could have their own drive to keep their files, rather than on the system itself.

I really like these Seagate Free Agent "Go-Flex" drives.  This one is a 1.5Tb drive, and is USB 3.0 (unfortunately, the A700 doesn't have USB 3.0 yet, but I can still use the backward compatible cable in a 2.0 port).
re1

Comes with the usb 3.0 cable and a detachable rear connector.  The detachable part is standard sata data and power.  This will be built into the pocket the drive will slide into.
re3

Built a pocket for the drive to slide in to.  Drive fits snug inside.  
re5

Removing material to make way for the connector.
re7

Fits ok.  Now to glue the connector in permanently to the pocket.
re8

It's not glued yet, but this is how it will look once finished.
re9

And once I get the main base put together, I'll cut an opening in the side where this pocket will go, and glue it in place.

If you like this project, head over to my contest page and VOTE! Only takes two clicks!  :smileyvery-happy:

JaneL

How often can we vote? Once? Daily?

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Very cool man!

Nice work - and really appreciate your taking the time to put up the content in the forum.  

I'm sure a lot of other's will really get a kick out of this.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
Blue Screen Again
Boddaker

Hi Jane,

You can only vote once per location.  I think they keep track of the IP address where you vote from (to keep people from ballot-stuffing lol).  But you could vote more than once if you have multiple internet access points. For instance, if you voted from work, then from home, or even from your phone.  ;-)

Mark, thanks for the reply!  I'm glad I found this forum.  I truly hope A LOT of people get a kick out of this, as I'm 50 votes behind! lol  Seriously though, I'm just glad I was able to get this opportunity, and I'm having a lot of fun with it.  And as a bonus, I will be donating this mod to my son's charter school when it's complete.  That was my inspiration from the beginning, as they are a small charter with only 100 children.  And they don't have much in the way of audio/visual equipment, so this will come in very handy. 

Maliha

Hey Brian,

Pretty cool modding, I just voted for you, wish you good luck! 

Maliha

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Blue Screen Again
Boddaker

Thank you Maliha!

Got the acrylic parts in today, so I wasted no time and started piecing it together.

A shot of all the base pieces.  I made my life a bit easier by just getting a 4" dia acrylic tube and cutting out a 1/4 section, rather than trying to bend a 21" long sheet to perfectly match the curve on the side pieces. I don't think it would have been possible with just a heat gun lol.
base1

Taped the pieces together for fit before gluing.
base2

base3

And gluing.
base4

I decided to add some extra support to the mating edges of the curved piece, as it didn't match the thickness of the bottom piece.  So I mixed up a quick batch of bondo and troweled it in.
baae6

That's it for tonight.  Tomorrow I'll start sanding and smoothing the corners down, then work on the center support where the lens will go.

If you like this project, head over to my contest page and VOTE!  Only takes two clicks!  :smileyvery-happy: