Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ThinkPad Battery Firmware Update for Windows to fix a low battery capacity problem

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎07-12-2010 by
Modified ‎11-23-2010 by
(3,750 Views)

ThinkPad Battery Firmware Update for Windows to fix a low battery capacity problem

Question

I have a ThinkPad L410/510 or L412/512 that doesn't seem to charge as I would expect.  Run times on a full charge seem shorter than anticipated and / or battery full charge capacity levels degrade more quickly than normal, or batteries won't fully charge.

Do I need to replace the battery ?  Is it defective?

Answer

Before you call service or consider replacing the battery, check to ensure you have the latest firmware on the battery - this is made available through an updated BIOS.

This battery firmware update utility fixes an issue where some batteries indicate an incorrect full charge capacity value. Because of this error, the amount of energy available for use is artificially low, decreasing the amount of time the system can be used on battery. The fix is entirely contained in the battery firmware update; there is no need to replace any hardware for this problem.

Click Here for full details and the files to download specific to your model system.

A very small number of LG 9-cell battery PN 42T4715 (FRU 42T4714)shipped with an incorrect charge current parameter and incorrect ID info. The new utility in the link above recognizes these batteries and applies the correct FW (which fixes the incorrect parameter). The batteries can be charged properly after the update.

Contributors