Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
turtette

4 Devices not working after xp install, Audio, Network Controller,SM Bus and Unknown Dev.

After removing Linux, I wiped hard disk clean, then installing xp, I had 12 system devices not working. After 2 days, updating xp to sp3, and downloading all the drivers from this web site, I am stuck with 4 devices not working.

Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus
Network Controller
SM Bus Controller
Unknown Device

as listed by Device Manager.... The two glaring symtoms being: No Sound except for occasional system Beep, and no wireless connection. Both of these worked with the Linux so it's not hardware...as in, "check for gas before you take apart the lawnmower to see why it won't work"

R61 7732CTO Basic model, integrated Video..etc

I've read most all the posts here and they have been very helpful in solving many of the issues I had with other devices but these 4 have me stumped...any ideas are welcome. these seem common after an xp install....
Fanfold Paper
durrell

Re: 4 Devices not working after xp install, Audio, Network Controller,SM Bus and Unknown Dev.

I have the same computer and I just installed XP today. Once you have a working network connection, I suggest you use this:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-66956

It fixed all of my problems. Of course by the time I got it to actually work I had already installed all of my drivers by hand, but it made the Lenovo program installation a lot easier.
Paper Tape
turtette

Re: 4 Devices not working after xp install, Audio, Network Controller,SM Bus and Unknown Dev.

Misery loves company, thanks for your reply. This did not work. Two interesting messages pop up while running it.

1. Titled System update: A version of IBM Update Connector or System Update has been detected on your system. For this installation to continue the existing version must be uninstalled. Would you like to uninstall the existing version? I clicked Yes...

2. Some files could not be deleted from the System Update Directory. These files contain data from previously applied updates and/or log information and are not needed for the upgrade. Do you want to delete the remaining files. I clicked yes...

that finishes and the installshield launches and completes. Saying install was successful.

Restarted Computer....no change in status of the 4 devices. I then tried updating the driver again for each device individually from this web site.....no luck...
Fanfold Paper
durrell

Here's another question for you, and I'm only asking because I was making the same mistake today.

When you run the driver extraction (by clicking the icon on the desktop), you are finishing the driver installation process by going to C:/Windows/Drivers and running Setup from there..right?

It sounds like you probably are, just making sure.
Paper Tape
turtette

When you run the driver extraction (by clicking the icon on the desktop), you are finishing the driver installation process by going to C:/Windows/Drivers and running Setup from there..right?

Well no, I haven't been doing that. So now for my dumb question of the forum...

I have a Drivers folder located at C:/Drivers with C:/Windows at the bottom of the same window - C:/

The C:/Windows folder also has a /Drivers folder in it. Yes that means 2 Folders in separate locations called: Drivers

They both have alot of Files and Folders in them.

Do I Combine them in C:/Windows/Drivers?

And then the question of how do I wade through all of them to launch proper Setups?

Well my noob experiance at this is on the table....Will resume working on this in 7 hrs. Thanks for any info..
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

When installing drivers manually, you extract the drivers you need paying attention to where it is going to extract to. Example C:\Windows\drivers\6y17jke\.
Now that the drivers are extracted on your system you might run System Update again and it might find the extracted drivers and install them for you. (or maybe that was the now deprecated Software Installer.) Anyway, run System Update again and see if it finds drivers for you.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Paper Tape
turtette

This was helpful but I have 2 devices still not working. By going into the /Devices folder and launching setup in every downloaded driver set, I was able to get the wireless and the audio to install and operate. I also updated everything from Windows System updates, and there were 15 items updated from ThinkAdvantage Productivity Center. I also re-ran ThinkVantage System Update and individually relaunched every set-up I could find in that download, with every one telling me the files already existed and did I want to write over them anyway. So that leaves me with:

SM Bus Controller
Unknown Device

still listed as ? in the device manager. I do not know if my card reader works as I have no cards but can't imagine what isn't operating. The usb ports, modem Lan all seem operable. The video actually is faster than my desktop operating at 3gh with a 500mb video card.

Any tips on what these two do and how to get them operating. Thanks for all suggestions so far.
andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

I would go for the Intel Chipset and TPM drivers.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog