Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
andygoblins
Accepted Solution

ACPI Failure

Here's what's wrong:

The FN keys do not work. The volume and mic buttons on the left side do not work. The ThinkVantage button does not work. The wireless switch does not work. The cpu fan stops spinning about a second after powering on.

My diagnosis:

Complete ACPI hardwareI failure. 

Here's what I've tried:

update BIOS (I now have the most recent)

replace cooling fan - I later tested the old "broken" fan and found that it worked perfectly.

replace motherboard - My computer worked fine for about a month, then the troubles started again.

Here's how I use my laptop:

I carry it around in a backpack. I only set it on hard, flat surfaces so it doesn't have overheating problems. I primarily work in a dust-free environment.

Here's what I need help with:

If anyone has ever had a similar problem, I would love to hear your experiences.

My laptop is still under warranty. I would love some advice on how I can describe my troubles to the techies over the phone so that the end result is that I get a working laptop.

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: ACPI Failure

As per the symptoms mentioned by you it can be issue with CPU fan(heat sink)

It is mentioned by you, the notebook is in warranty so you can call to the support center and get the case log.

The issue should be resolve after replacing the CPU fan.  Kindly make sure the BIOS is updated again after system board got replaced.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Paper Tape
andygoblins

No, the problem is NOT the CPU fan. I have 2 of them, and both of them work if they are plugged into an external source. As I already mentioned, the fan has already been replaced once and that didn't fix the problem.

The fan is only a minor symptom of a bigger problem: all the buttons on the top of my laptop stop working. For those of you who are unaware, these buttons trigger ACPI events when they are pressed. My CPU fan is also controlled by ACPI events. This is why I say the laptop is suffering from ACPI failure.

Also, have I mentioned that this problem comes and goes every couple of days? It's really weird. All my technical training points at the motherboard being bad. But I have already had it replaced once, and I still have the same problem. Does the motherboard have a design flaw? Am I just really unlucky to get two bad motherboards in a row?

Is there anyone out there with an L412 experiencing similar difficulties? 

Guru
Mornsgrans

I recommend to reset the laptop to the factory defaults. ACPI-errors can be caused by corrupt/missing Thinkpad Power Mmanagement Driver, not working keys can be caused by the same reason plus missing/corrupt Hotkey Features.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Paper Tape
andygoblins

I dual boot Linux and Windows and the problem exists in both, so resetting Windows to factory defaults won't fix the problem.

I could try resetting the BIOS, though, if you think that would help. 

Guru
Mornsgrans

Maybe it helps - i don't know, whether you had made changes in BIOS concerning the powermanagement.

In BIOS-Mode under Config - Power for example

My ThinkPad-Collection
Paper Tape
andygoblins

Yeah, I'll give it a try the next time it acts up again. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Paper Tape
andygoblins

Well, I tried resetting the BIOS, but it did not fix my problem. Any other ideas?

Guru
Mornsgrans

Did you "optimize" your Thinkpad with "Tune-up" or similar? - damages the stability more, than it helps

Do you use Fan control software? - Remove it.

Did you check the HDD/SSD-health (S.M.A.R.T.-values, Scandisk etc.)

Did you use a fresh Windows  installation after replacing the main board?

Do you use other hardware controlling software like RM-Clock, NHC or similar? - remove them

My ThinkPad-Collection
Paper Tape
andygoblins

Again, I am using both WIndows and Linux, and both have the problem.

On Windows 7 I have not done any optimizations beyod disabling all the windows services I don't need using services.msc. I do not use fan control software, or any other hardware control software. I did not put a fresh windows installation on after replacing the main board because the problem existed on the Linux half too, so I knew it was not a Windows problem.

On the Linux half I am using a vanilla ArchLinux 64-bit kernel. I am not using any fan control software. I ran a SMART test about 4 seconds ago using smartctl and my HDD passed. I see no values in the test results that would indicate my drive is failing, but I can post the test results if you would like to see them.