Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
cdamccann

BIOS update - - Missing files?

I own a R61 8932 -CTO.

I need a BIOS update to fix a low speed issue with my ExpressCard slot.

Booting into the BIOS update CD I meet an error that states

"The system program file was not found on the CD. Insert the correct CD in the drive."

When attempting to flash via WindowsXP SP3 using the WINUPTP.exe utility I get

"Bios image file can not be found. The utility process has not completed."

After toying around for a bit, I try the WinPhlash.exe and it tells me that I am missing a file called Flashabl.rom.

Looking around in the folder I discover that it is not there at all, in any of the update packages from 7kuj05us to 7kuj27us.

Am I completely missing something here or is something wrong.

The update is not completely necessary, but would be greatly appreciated due to the amount of data that traverses to my eSATA drive and back daily.

Paper Tape
cdamccann

Re: BIOS update - - Missing files?

**Bump**

Paper Tape
kento123

Same issue here - while trying to update BIOS due to system issues -- HDD and SMBIOS failed during PC Doctor Hardware scan -- this is the second HDD this R61 has devoured in 2 years.....

Paper Tape
kento123

Searching this forum I see others have asked the same question due to the same message even with other .ICO files downloaded....is there someone from LENOVO reading or addressing these questions ???

Ctrl-Alt-Del
InstantCrypt

[ Edited ]

cdamccann wrote:

I own a R61 8932 -CTO.

Booting into the BIOS update CD I meet an error that states

"The system program file was not found on the CD. Insert the correct CD in the drive."

When attempting to flash via WindowsXP SP3 using the WINUPTP.exe utility I get

"Bios image file can not be found. The utility process has not completed."

After toying around for a bit, I try the WinPhlash.exe and it tells me that I am missing a file called Flashabl.rom.

Looking around in the folder I discover that it is not there at all, in any of the update packages from 7kuj05us to 7kuj27us.

Same problem, but with an X61 tablet, Windows 7, and using the 7nuj21us.exe utility. I also tried the 7nuj20us.exe, and it was the same.
Lenovo, we need to hear from you!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
InstantCrypt

Re: BIOS update - - Missing files? - Found solution

[ Edited ]

I finally updated my BIOS throught the X61 Thinkvantage System Update program to version 1.24 - 1.02. The corresponding update file (I did not use this file, however, I used the System Update) is

7suj18us.exe and can be found here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-68005.

This does not clear up the confusion expressed in the above entries, but solved the problem for me.

Paper Tape
cdamccann

**## UPDATE  ##**

Ok, so I finally got my BIOS to update!

After playing around with numerous settings to no avail, I decided to start from scratch. I set all of my settings to the system’s default and it worked. The only thing that changed was the system’s boot order.

The initial settings were:

Hard Drive

CD/DVD-RW

USB HDD

After the defaults, the settings were

CD/DVD-RW

Hard Drive

Network

Bootable add in cards

Ect.

The boot order to my knowledge was the only thing that changed.

To anyone who is having problems, have you changed your default boot order?

Serial Port
DownTownBrowne

OK-- I have a 8874-5NU 60 among 5-6 others. My problem was its a 15.4 wide wich takes a differant bios that my other 14 & 15 models. I apperantly been flashing my 14wides with the wrong bios i think. This is the first time i ran into this problem. I thought it was for sure because its stamped "DEMO" on the white sticker instead of TYPE:xxxx-xxx. I hopes this fix's my power options problem of having to unplug all the time to start from off position.

Andrew