Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
fredf1979
Accepted Solution

Copy Speed HDD to Ultrabay HDD

Does anyone know why the file copy process from the primary HDD to the Ultrabay HDD takes almost 10 (ten) times as long than copying from the primary HDD to an external USB HDD.

I am trying to copy a system image (Ghost) of 8 GB which takes only 20 minutes to external but 2-3 hours to ultrabay.

I am running an R61 and have just added a HDD for the Ultrabay removing the DVD Writer.

Thank you for an answer.

Fred F.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Copy Speed HDD to Ultrabay HDD

Hi Fred,

In Device Manager, Properties for the ultrabay HD, are "optimize for performance" and "enable write caching" checked?  I dont' think you mentioned what operating system you are running - but this is about the same for XP, Vista, and 7, IIRC.

That's one possibility.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Punch Card
fredf1979

Hi Zoltanthegypsy and thanks for the reply.

No. Write caching is not checked on all of my drives including the external.

So, the write speed must be governed by something different in operating the ultrabay.

I just don't know what.

I am running Win XP SP 3.

Just for the heck of it I am going to try with write caching enabled but I am not optimistic about the result.

Fred F.

Punch Card
fredf1979

Hi again, Zoltanthegypsy,

I tried the copy a of 2 GB file first with caching enabled (est. time 20 min.)

Then with caching disabled (est. time 55 min.)

Then to the external USB drive with caching disabled (est. time 6 min.)

Go figure.

Fredf

Punch Card
fredf1979

Further investigation in the Lenovo selfhelp section reveals that HDD in Ultrabay should be included in the boot order of the BIOS and not excluded.

Mine is excluded and no matter how often I try at any boot it is back in the excluded list.

Any suggestions?

Fredf

Punch Card
fredf1979

Hi Zoltanthegypsy,

I have solved the problem!

It appears the IDE channel tranfer mode had slipped to PIO from UDMA.

Possibly from having been used for the DVD writer.

I found a web site that showed how to fix that and now I am back to UDMA-5.

If it is of interest, here is the URL: http://winhlp.com/node/10

Fredf

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Excellent!  Now how about hitting that "accept as solution" button on your post?

I'm a little hesitant to download strange scripts from strange websites - even when the information looks legitimate.  Did you use the script, or the manual solution?  IIRC, p-I/O vs. DMA mode should be a settable property via device manager, but I don't have anything with an IDE device on it to test.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Punch Card
fredf1979

I did the correction manually via the registry editor.

Simply drilling down to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

find the subkey for the primary ide chanel (in my case it is 0003)

and delete the MasterIdDataChecksum entry.

Rebooting will reinstate this line correctly and all is fine.

Resetting in device manager from PIO to UDMA does not correct the above and the next boot will revert to PIO.

Fred F