Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
ahmedindiana

Faulty VGA memory

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have an R-60 laptop and when running diagnostics, display memory fails almost all tests.  What's my options where? Is there something I can replay (or add a  PCI display card)? or do I have to retire the whole laptop?

thanks

Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: Faulty VGA memory

Please add the type- and model number (f.ex. "1234-ABC").

Do you have memory modules with different size in your laptop (f.ex 1 x 2GB and 1 x 1GB RAM)? In that case remove one module and test again.

Laptops with shared memory sometimes have problems, if the RAM modules don't have the same capacity.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Blue Screen Again
ahmedindiana

Thanks for your response.

The model is  9461CTO  and it has dedicated display memroy. 

hope this helps.

I was able to get it to start and continue working by using VGA mode.

Guru
Mornsgrans

If you tested the RAM-modules as described avove (if i'm right, some ATI models additionally use main memory shared), either a reflow of the video ram on the ATI-chip or replacing the system board will help.

My ThinkPad-Collection
Blue Screen Again
ahmedindiana

tried all 4 combinations  (2 pieces of RAM x 2 slots) with same failure on all of them.

Guru
Mornsgrans

Then a reflow of the vodeo memory or replace of the system board seem to be the solution.

My ThinkPad-Collection
Blue Screen Again
ahmedindiana

Thanks. Any poiters on how to reflow the video memory?

Also, Can I install an addition video card (PCMCIA, for example)? 

Community Moderator
richk

[ Edited ]

No way to add a card.  These symptoms are usually sick vram chips, rather then having the solder joints break, so reflow usually doesn't help, but if you want to try, you need to remove the motherboard and remove everything attached. (CPU, wireless card, pc card cage, etc) Also carefully remove the black plastic stickers that cover parts of the board. You can stick them to a sheet of wax paper so you can put them back when you are done. Cover the whole board with aluminum foil as a shield, except cut a hole where the video chip and vram are. Heat the board on a quartz preheater for about 20 minutes to about 280C, and then apply heat from above using a rework station (about 350C if you are using hot air). If you are using infrared, follow the instructions for your device. If you are using hot air, 90 seconds should be plenty. If you decide to replace the board, they are cheap, but the discrete ones are hard to find. I am just clearing out my old motherboards and I checked and I only have an integrated one. The integrated ones only sell for about $30, if you are interested. As I said, the discrete ones are hard to find.You need to be careful on R60 motherboards. The ones for 14" machines (most common) are different from the ones for 15" machines. Also, some R60 boards do not have touchpad connectors or docking station ports and they will not work in machines that have those ports. (mine has both and is for a 14" machine)