Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
skinser

Figured out culprit behind long boot times and random abrupt power off of my L512

I recently started having a problem with my L512 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Service Pack 1. It would take an extra two minutes to boot, spending that time in the bios portion (i.e. Windows hadn't even kicked off yet). My laptop also would randomly just turn off - abruptly, no warning.

I finally narrowed the problem down to an optional Microsoft Windows update named "Intel Corporation - Display - Intel(R) HD Graphics", released November, 2010. My problems began after I installed this update. The reason I noticed this update is because of an update in the Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools - Update and Drivers named "Intel(R) Graphic Device Software for Windows 7 64bit" that wanted to be installed, but didn't want to because it complained there was already a newer version installed. I forced the installation of the version in Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools - Update and Drivers, and the problem disappeared. The "Intel Corporation - Display - Intel(R) HD Graphics" update in Windows Update then reappeared, but I hid that one, since it causes problems.

Maliha

Re: Figured out culprit behind long boot times and random abrupt power off of my L512

Thanks for sharing the solution with us, it will definitely help someone! :smileyhappy:

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel