Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
kasheyev
Accepted Solution

First Boot, No Display

I received my L520 today, just in time for a business trip later in the week.  I excitedly unboxed the laptop and turned it on.  I was able see flashing lights, feel the fan and hear its inner mechanics, but was unable to see anything on the display.  I rebooted, I followed the instructions suggested by Lenovo's support site, but still couldn't get the display to even flicker.

The machine is able to output video to an external vga monitor that I have on hand, I can see display options listed on the external montior when I press Fn+F7, but still have not been able to get any response.  Phone support was unable to suggest anything other than what was listed online, so the fellow suggested I send it in for repairs.

Is there any way this is not a hardware problem?  Could the display just be disabled somehow?  Would reinstalling video drivers be of any value?

There's no way I am able to get a replacement shipped, or a new computer sent with expedited shipping in time.  Short of ponying up and buying a less capable machine at a brick and mortar store, I will be without a computer on the road.  I know all electronics can have failures, but I had expected much more from Lenovo and didn't even fathom that it'd be dead straight from the box.

Thanks for your time, please tell me I am being an idiot and am missing something obvious.

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

Re: First Boot, No Display

kasheyev, welcome to the forum,

I honestly don't know what to advise here, you seem to have diagnosed the problem pretty concisely.

Out of interest, and as FN +F7 doesn't work, does the system show the POST on the external display? If so please press F1 at boot and check in the BIOS Config > Display menu to see if you can set the boot display device to both internal and external. I know it's not a lot, but it's a straw.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

without the video driver you would still get something on the screen, so don't think its software. something happened from the time it was tested at the factory & then to you everytime I've sent my laptop for repair I've had it back in 3,4 days

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Retired Employee
Serge1410

hey kasheyev,

sorry to hear about what had happen about your unit. Could you pm to me the following details and i'll try to assist you as much as i can.

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM [machine type model]:

(To locate MTM - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/FindProductNumber.page#find)

S/N:
Date of Purchase:
Case/Order Number : (if any)

Screenshot of Error(if applicable) : (upload it to a hosting site and paste the link here)

Location of unit : Home / Repair Center (delete where appropriate)

Description of issue :

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Paper Tape
kasheyev

...and here I am.  I had time to fiddle with display settings without any luck, but then, while setting up the internet connection, the laptop's display suddenly jumped to life.  I was able to set it up to be the main display.  The computer has been able to successfully restart several times (including one time, with two hours of battery left, when the computer shut itself off) without having any display issues.  Odd that it had problems to begin with, and odd that it went away so suddenly.  I hope it is not a bad physical connection, but it does not seem like the machine was being moved, so ...software?

Thankfully things are working properly for now and they will hopefully remain that way for the trip, at least.  I will have to check back in when I return.  Hopefully I'll have nothing to report, but it'll take a little bit for me to be confident in this machine.

Thank you for your help, one and all!

Paper Tape
kasheyev

I am having troubles with the display once again.

The Thinkpad went with me on the trip, worked for a short while, and then the screen went completely white.  It seems as though it is the same trouble I had before, but instead of the screen being stuck off, it is stuck on and all white.  I am able to connect an external monitor to use it as the display and I updated every driver I could.

The other problem I've discovered is with the battery- the computer had shut down several times when running on battery before going on my trip, and it occasionally showed no battery while the AC was plugged in.  This has gotten worse and the battery does not show up while plugged in, but it does not shut off immediately when I unplug the AC.

Serge- Am I required to have a certain number of posts before being allowed to send private messages?  I have read the informative post, but I still do not see an option to send private messages on your profile or anyone else's.

I have completely soured on this lemon of a machine and I have a postage box to send it in for repairs, but can I just return it and sever my ties? 

Thank you for your help so far, everyone.

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

kasheyev,

sorry to hear you're still having problems :smileysad: it's time to call support (1-800-426-7378 ) as you definitely seem to have a defective display. Could you also please take a look at this thread in our FAQs, hopefully it provides you with some extra information and advice before you call support.

As far as not being able to send a PM, we have an announcement on the forum homepage about this, you possibly overlooked it thinking it was an advert - I did at first :smileysurprised:  Here's a link to the relevant thread which will be updated.

Regards

Andy

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
kasheyev

Thank you, Andy.  I have previous spoken with support and they sent a box and return label.  The FAQ did provide me with extra handy information and I will utilize it when I call sales about this DOA scenario.

I apologize for not noticing the announcement about private messages, it did blend right in with the other linked graphics and for spam prevention I had been assuming it was an earned benefit.

I'll update the thread's status when the situation has been remedied.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Traktion

I had a brand new L520 delivered today too and have the exact same problem! :smileysad:

With an external screen, I can boot up fine, but the laptop screen seems to be completely dead. There is no back light, no text, nothing.

I will give support a call tomorrow, but it's not looking good. I was really looking forward to playing with it this evening too!

What's DOS?
Andy01

Received two new L520 units in a row with the same dead LCD problem.  Laptops both work with external monitors, and detect when the laptop screen is closed, but the LCDs have no pattern on them nor is the backlight working.  Did anybody get an answer to the extent of the problem?  If this is a serious problem with these laptops, we cannot provide these to our clients on the field.  Technical support has no answer other than to send it back, and the returns/replacment department is giving me the runaround.  Spent hours on the phone so far.