Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
SteveG
Accepted Solution

HIdden hard drive partition

Hi folks,

I have an R31 (2656-mlg) which was running XP Home Edition. My feckless son rather thoughtfully (?) upgraded me to XPPro by doing a clean install which deleted all the IBM drivers and has left me without access to the hidden partition.

I don't have any rescue or backup disks. Is there any way to access this partition ... any way at all?

I'd really like to get the machine back to where it was before - then I'll chop sonny jim's fingers off so he can't do it again :-)

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards
Steve
Lenovo Technology Partner
crisdean

Re: HIdden hard drive partition

Windows usually formats the whole harddisk which means your hpa is more likely gone. However, if you see the hpa try to get a floppy and recover the mbr with the rescue and recovery diskette.

If that doesn't help and the machine is out of warranty contact lenovo and order a set of rec cds.

Punch Card
SteveG

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I can see the partition in Disk Manager and it appears not to be empty which is why I thought I'd ask if anyone knew a method of getting to it.

I guess it'll be a phone call to Lenovo in the morning :-)

Regards
Steve
Fanfold Paper
James-Stewart

[ Edited ]

if you want to keep XP pro and install the drivers (a  lot more time consuming)

the go here

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=/product.do?template=%2Fproductpage%2...

and download system update 3.14 which will find and install all the drivers you need (as long as your laptop is connected to the internet)

if you are sure you want to reinstall from factory 

go to this address

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70034

and download Thinkvantage Rescue and Recovery

(its around 300mb so be prepared to wait a while for the download, if its going too slowly i suggest downloading Internet Download Manager trial http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

then install rescue and recovery and restart

on the bios screen (the one that says ibm thinkpad, etc, etc) when you restart your computer press the blue button thinkvantage button and it should load into the rescue and recovery environment

as long as the partition is there all you need to do is install rescue and recovery to be able to access it

i did this yesterday (i had my recovery disks but prefer to do it from the partition) and it worked perfectly

i hope this helps

Message Edited by James-Stewart on 11-13-2008 06:17 PM
Message Edited by James-Stewart on 11-13-2008 06:21 PM
Lenovo Technology Partner
crisdean

Punch Card
SteveG

Okay, Steve's a happy bunny again thanks to Chris and James :-)

I used a combination of your suggestions and am gonna leave the laptop with XPPro installed - with all the correct drivers - and with F11 re-enabled. I've also created R&R disks so that if XPPro goes all wobbly on me I can go back to Home Premium via the hidden partition.

Cheers again for everyone's help. This is a great resource for us numpties :-)

Regards
Steve