Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
A-2-Fay

Hard 86G drive: System logs 84G used, WinDirStat logs 44G used

T61

Vista

Started receiving notifications regarding small percentage of disk space remaining.  I have an 86G drive - and all preloaded applications / tools log that I'm using 84G. 

There is no way that I am using that much space.  I cannot find what is utilizing the space. 

I downloaded WinDirStat to assist in locating what was using up my hard drive, and it logs only 44G used (a difference of 40G - which is more in keeping with what I believe I have used).

Is there a way to diagnose if this is a hardware problem or other? 

Thank you!!!

andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 631

Re: Hard 86G drive: System logs 84G used, WinDirStat logs 44G used

A-2-Fay, welcome to the forum,

a not unknown situation. Please take a look at this thread to see if it helps you to solve this. It's an old thread, but a goodie :smileywink:

Please let us know.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

What the Community SuperMod said. But...

I hope there's enough space left for R&R to run a delete! (And you don't have much space left) I've seen a few cases where it complained that there wasn't enough available space for a delete operation. Go figure...

If it's that bad, maybe a windows-style disk cleanup, including old restore points and shadow copies will free enough for R&R to do its thing.

Hopefully, I'm just worrying you for nothing :smileyhappy:

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

andyP

zoltanthegypsy wrote:

I hope there's enough space left for R&R to run a delete! (And you don't have much space left) I've seen a few cases where it complained that there wasn't enough available space for a delete operation.

If this should arise, the answer according to a lot of posts in these boards is to delete the last R&R backup on it's own and then the others.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Blue Screen Again
A-2-Fay

Andy,

Thank you!!!

As I am new to the forum ... I had found this 'old' thread and it did the job for my problem ... but I didn't know how to get back to my post to either cancel or notify of solution.  I freed up 30+gig in deleting older multiple 'shadows'.  Your reference also shows some other tips that I will certainly look into to prevent further problems.

I really appreciate people like you who are out on this forum, helping the rest of us!

Again, Thank You.

Blue Screen Again
A-2-Fay

Thank you.  The first time I attempted to delete an older shadow - I was denied, due to lack of space.

Per other posts, I deleted the most recent file first - and that did the trick!

Thank you.

andyP

That's great news :smileyvery-happy: Maybe you could mark the thread as solved, assuming it is, as this will enable others see it as a solution in search results.

Andy  

PepperonI blog