Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
arnoldt

How do I remove preinstalled MS Office software?

I have an R61 (8932-CTO) that is about 6 months old, running Windows XP.  I want to uninstall the trial version of MS Office that came preloaded on the computer - it is interfering with the "real" version of Office I installed myself, and of course it also uses up a lot of unnecessary disk space.  How do I remove this from the computer?  It does not seem to appear in Add/Remove programs.  Thanks.
Paper Tape
PowerGuy

Re: How do I remove preinstalled MS Office software?

I have same exact problem.  Lenovo support recommends reconfiguring my whole computer by pressing F11 during startup. This is not a good choice as I will lose my data and programs.  Microsoft gets into your registry and is not much help in getting any version of MS Office removed from my R61i running XP.

This is a sad situation.

If you find a way to do this without reconfiguring your whole system, please let me know.

Thanks,

PowerGuy

Punch Card
R61i_User

It did appear in Add/Remove Programs, but it was not shown as "MS Office 2007 - TrialPack" or something like that... it was just namend as if it was the "real" Office-Package (which it actually is - after buying a License...)

The Fault lies somewhere between you and MS:

* You did install your Package without de-installing the "Demo-Version".

* MS did not prepare their installer-Application to look for already installed Office-Demos...

Besides removing your Package and manually deleting all remaining Files of the Demo-Package plus cleaning the registry there seems no other option than re-installing the whole System... But perhaps MS has an answer..?

There is a MS-Tool called "Install cleanup" that removes all setup-Traces of selected software (not the Software itself..)

perhaps a point to strart from?

best regards,

R61i_User 

Paper Tape
PowerGuy

Not actually.  I did allow the trial version of MS Office Pro 2007 (on my hard drive) to be activated when I received my R61i.  From that point on, I was unable to remove the MS Office Pro 2007.  When I tried to install a student version of MS Office Pro 2007, with a legal license, the existing version prevented this and would not accept my new software or the key number.

Seems to me that Lenovo should warn their customers that if you use the trial version, it may not be removed easily.

Seems to me that MicroSoft should provide a removal program for the MS Office, which turns into a quasi-virus on the laptop.

If feel that both Lenovo and MS share the fault.

Still have MS Office Pro 2007 on my R61i and it does not function and I cannot remove it.

Any easy removal suggestions are welcome.

Many Thanks

Punch Card
R61i_User

hi,

well, seems to be more complex that i thought...

let´s try this tool from MS:  http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;290301&x=8&y=13

"You try to install the program again, but you are unsuccessful. Or, maybe you have problems trying to remove an old program because the installation files are corrupted. (...) Do not worry. Windows Installer CleanUp Utility might be able to help. You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over. ..."

sounds good, i think.

It seems to make Windows "forget" the installed Application but the "exe-"files themself seem to remain on the Harddrive... 

I think it´s a good idea to remove these old files too, just to make sure those remainders don´t interfere with the new files from your Office2007 home&student-Edition...

best regards

R61i_User 

Paper Tape
PowerGuy

Thanks for your suggestion, but this software in not recommended for removing MS Office 2007.

See quote from website below:

"Caution is advised. We recommend that you do not use this utility with 2007 Office system products. For help removing installations of 2007 Office system products, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:"

The link they refer to is a very complex document that involves hunting for items in the Registry and maybe messing up your computer since I'm no expert.

Sorry my friend, but Microsoft gets you hooked once you use their "trial version".

It will cost about $400 to buy from them the real software.

Very sad situation.

Thanks for trying. 

Any inputs about other easy removal methods that really work would be much appreciated.

Best regards, 

PowerGuy