Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
nilanko

How to disassemble lcd panel

Laptop model is ThinkPad L412. I am now pissed off by the dust particle that somehow got behind the screen that I posted about earlier. Now I have decided to open up the panel and get rid of that dirt particle. But I don't understand how to open it. Can anybody (lead_org, Maliha) explain me how to disassemble and clean it? Though it is small but disturbs me a lot.
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

Re: How to disassemble lcd panel

There is no official tutorial on that, check out youtube. But be warned, you would need a clean environment with 50 ppm or less to carry out such work, otherwise you would get more dust particles into the screen.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

Chances are that you'll end up destroying the screen.

Don"t do it.

The reason why there's no tutorial on the process is that no one - to the best of my knowledge - has been successful in such an attempt.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Is it even possible to separate the surface of the LCD from the "guts"?  Remove the panel from the bezel, certainly.  Separate the layers of the LCD - that's bold.

Note: I'm just asking.  Never tried it, didn't think it was possible.

Good luck (+1)

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

lead_org

you can but you will easily damage the screen with this process, not recommended unless you know what you are doing and without a clean room environment of <50 ppm. You probably can attempt this with a laminar flow cabinet with hepa 3 flow cabinet.
Regards,

Jin Li

Ctrl-Alt-Del
nilanko

WTH?! This means that I have to stay with that dirt? This isn't fair. I do a lot of photo editing. Even if I know that there is dirt behind the screen but I mistake a spot present on the photo itself everytime...and later I suddenly realize...oh that's that stupid dirt particle that got 'behind' the screen. Most lappy panels can be opened up but this model hasn't got screws to open even the bezel!! **bleep**?!?
lead_org

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-73322.html

follow this manual for bezel removal.
Regards,

Jin Li

Ctrl-Alt-Del
nilanko

Thanks lead_org. I don't wanna separate the layers of the LCDs!! Well that would be really bold! I just want to open up the bezel and give a hard blow or do something similar  to remove the dirt. And I will take care of the environment.

lead_org

[ Edited ]

hard blow? not only would you make this problem worse, you would also introduce moisture, nutrients, dusts and different oral microfuna microfauna (i.e. bacteria, fungi, etc) into panel.

Obviously if you believe you can succeed then no one can stop you from doing it. But my advice is that you would cause more problems then you would solve by doing this.

Regards,

Jin Li

Ctrl-Alt-Del
nilanko

LCD front bezel removal (Pg.: 107) says to remove the following before bezel removal:

For access, remove these FRUs in order:
• “1010 Battery pack” on page 59
• “1100 Wireless WAN slot cover and PCI Express Mini Card for wireless WAN” on page 73
• “1110 Palm rest assembly with cables” on page 75
• “1120 PCI Express Mini Card for wireless LAN” on page 78
• “1160 Keyboard” on page 83
• “1170 Keyboard bezel” on page 86
• “1180 LCD unit” on page 87

Are all these necessary to remove except the battery pack? I don't see any obstruction in the bezel removal. Simple 4 screws to remove. And another thing I wanted to ask is that about those screw rubber caps. Those loose the adhesive after removal? Which adhesive should I use to put them back into their places?

Also, thanks for suggestions. I won't give a "hard blow" but try to do something else to remove the dirt like tapping, exposing LCD to vibration, etc.