Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
turn11

How to use R61i Rescue & Recovery CDs

I bought a R61i (7650ELU) in Dec '09. It came with the Win Vista OS degraded to Win XP Pro. (when I turned it on for the first time it started up into XP without any input from me)  

I created Rescue & Recovery CDs before using. There is one labeled Rescue & Recovery Startup Disc. There are 8 other CDs labeled Disk 1 - Disk 8.

I used them about 9 months ago and all was well.  I had made a note on 1 of 8 that I should answer NO if ask for a "Supplemental disk.

I tried to use them today and something is wrong. I turned PC OFF. I inserted the STARTUP DISK in the drive and pressed the 0 / 1 and turned the PC on. It reads the CD and it goes through its process (the process bars turn grey, then Please Wait, then the Rescue & Recovery 4 screen (life ring but not the menu) comes on. The System Services Starting - Wait for Services to Finish Initializing  overlays the R&R 4 screen after a while.

The Rescue and Recovery screen (with menu options) comes on and the CD stops. None of the menu options are active. I have to press and hole the Power button to exit this screen.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Guidance would be appreciated

Thanks for any help.

Larry

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: How to use R61i Rescue & Recovery CDs

Hey turn11,

do check out this link : http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/rnr421mst.pdf

a deployment guide of the Rescue and Recovery and how it is to be used.

i'm a bit curious, can you load up windows correctly ? If yes, could you go to our support site via http://support.lenovo.com and install the latest R&R for your system.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Blue Screen Again
turn11

Hi Serge1410,

I appreciate your reply. With another computer I down loaded the PDF. Thank you for the link.

I do not trust my system. I was concerned I might have a virus or some type of malware. I use Norton, I don't go to risk and I am careful with Emails. I know this is NO GUARANTY.  When I run Norton and also MalwareBytes and they don't show any problems other than an occasional tracking cookie.

I know and trust the disks I made when the machine was new and had never been used. Will the new Rescue and Recovery allow me to use them or will it want to take a current image.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Larry

Blue Screen Again
turn11

Hi Serge,

I forgot to add this to my last post. I had thought about formatting the HD but I am going to have to do it as the Administrator. Did I create a PW for that or is the PW not known. I would only do that as a last resort.

CHKDSK I tried to use it with the /x option but it said it would run when I logged off and back on. I did that (not restart) and it said it ran but it only took a minute or so and I know this is way too little. I thought I might be getting bad sectors. I did a WIN + R, CMD then CHKDSK C: /X

Larry