Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
davegan

Is it my hard drive? (Lenovo R60)

Hi. I posted a few days ago re a Mountable volume boot blue screen. I can't recover any files in R&R and there are no back UPS to chose from either. George supplied a link for a DOS PC Doctor which I have used and all diagnostics pass. In utilities though, I ran a Read test in the Hard drive surface scan screen and when complete, it scrolls with 'Parallel port interface:failed' from top of page to bottom, and I have no idea what that means. The Rescue and recover still yields 0 files to recover and still no back up to restore to. Anyone have any other suggestions? Is there another trick? Oh, I don't have the original boot discs either. Thanks. David.
ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 733

Re: Is it my hard drive? (Lenovo R60)

Run the "linear" hard drive test from PC Doctor and report back.

Do you own an external hard drive by any chance?

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Fanfold Paper
davegan

Hi again. No external hard drive unfortunately, or not any more, and can't find a " linear" option to test. What does it come under? Can't find it under diagnostics, utilities or interactive tests. One worrying development is that I started using an old decommissioned laptop someone gave me to try. The screen is bad, flickery etc, but I've managed to get a few good hours out of it. I put a USB that I use a lot into it and Malwarebytes gave 3 warnings. I figured it just didn't recognise the drive so continued to cut a folder from the desktop onto the pendrive and this one has now blue screened a few times with Unmountable Boot Volume, but I don't know what state it was really in when the previous owner stopped using it, but maybe I have a virus on the USB. If you can direct me to this linear test, i'll see what it says. Thanks again! David.
Fanfold Paper
davegan

Ok, found a linear verify on Fixed Disk Category, ran it and it passed. Only on Disk 0, no option to do anything on dsks 1,2 or 3. Not sure if that's the linear you were referring to not if so, it passed. Thanks. D.
Fanfold Paper
davegan

Scratch the virus theory, old laptop is working again, except for the screen.