Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
LithiumKid1976

Re: L series

just on the L412, spec wise, everything seems to be nice and quick,

we deal exclusively with lenovo laptops and desktops, and this model has replaced our t60,61 and t400, and we have had no complaints so far.

the one gripe i would have with it, is when it comes to adding or replacing memory, trying to remove the cover is a real struggle . even after following the instructions here,

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-73341

you will still be lucky to come out of it with out breaking a clip or two.. anyway thats my opinion, hopefully im not alone on this one :smileyhappy:

What's DOS?
Firewatch

Re: L series?

Did you look for a docking station for the L512 Thinkpad.  I have several and need a dock pad.

Blue Screen Again
dombokfelett

Hi EricG1793,

you wrote:

"The fan is fairly quiet, but it turns itself off and on frequently, and when it turns on, it starts out on a high speed, then slowly works its way down to a dull"

What does frequently mean in this case?

My L412 turn on/off its fan every 2 min...find it very annoying, so I send it to a local service, they replaced the main board, but it doesn't solve the problem.. maybe this is a thermal control bug in the new BIOS?

So my question to every L412 owner: how often does your fan switch on in an idle, average office situation?

thanks the replies in advance

SCSI Port
macandpc91

[ Edited ]

You can't go wrong with a Thinkpad. I will never trust my portable needs to any other brand except Lenovo Thinkpad ever again. The build quality and warranty service is just awesome. Not to mention performance.  I love Thinkpad's and the L series seem terrific. I may be getting a L series for my fiance.

I see you got your L412. Glad you like it. I have the same flex on my right palm rest as well. right below the arrow keys. I'm not worried though, It's still a solid laptop.

MacBook Pro; 2.5Ghz Core i5;8GB DDR3;500GB HD;Intel 4000; Mac OSX 10.9
Thinkcentre 3.4Ghz Core i3;4GB DDR3;1TB HD;MSI 5450 1GB DDR3. Windows 7 Professional SP1
Punch Card
EricG1793

[ Edited ]

dombokfelett wrote:

Hi EricG1793,

you wrote:

"The fan is fairly quiet, but it turns itself off and on frequently, and when it turns on, it starts out on a high speed, then slowly works its way down to a dull"

What does frequently mean in this case?

My L412 turn on/off its fan every 2 min...

My fan behaves like you described. It'll run for a minute or two, then the fan will kick in for about 10 seconds. Sounds like we're in the same boat. I've gotten used to it now and never notice. I've been using mine in my lap lately and the fan behaves the same. Perfectly comfortable in the lap, nice and cool.

Performance is still great. Boot time is noticeably slower, but still acceptable, and everything's still just as responsive once logged in.

802.11n
Santoku

thePCxp wrote:

The L series does use a new keyboard, but it's as good as the 600X. All ThinkPad keyborads have maintained their "legendary" status. About the hinges, they are made of alloy and are just as good. It's a just different design. Again, those comments about the SL series' hinges not being rigid are coming from people who just love to hate.

About the pointing devices, the ones on a ThinkPad are way better than that of other brands. The ones on ThinkPads are "original" while the ones on other brands are just "copies" or "replicas". Also, with Lenovo, you get better customer service.

I can attest to the overall quality and reliability of Lenovo products. However, having used T-series (T61, T500) and am now using an L512, I find the fit and finish of the T-series to be far superior to that of the L-series. I will say that the L-series keyboard is generally quite good (legendary layout and TrackPoint), but slighly lacks some of the feel of the T-series. And while the hinges are above average in the industry for the L512, they are no where near as rigid and failsafe as the T- or W-series hinges. After having used the rock solid soft-touch surface cases of the T- and W-series, the plastic of the L512 seems cheap. Port layout of the L512 is also not as good as the T- and W-series machines. The L512 also has restrictions in it's ability to use the dock/port replicator (e.g., audio).

As of today, identically configured L512 and T510 systems cost exactly the same ($1,453 CDN vs. $1,448 CDN), however the T-series is a better machine by most measurements. Having also used Dell Latitude systems in the business environment, I can also say that they are very good machines, with good support. Quite often you will get better feature sets from Dell and HP, however the keyboard and TrackPoint in the L-series Lenovo's is almost untouchable in my experience. In fact, the work-flow from a ThinkPad is so good, that I recently purchased a W510 for myself for home vs. Dell XPS 15 or HP Envy. What I lost in the multimedia superiority for audio and gaming graphics were more than overshadowed by the ThinkPad keyboard, TrackPoint, chassis, and hardware Panatone colour calibration (I'm in to photography). The matte FHD screens in the ThinkPad systems are a dream compared to the glossy, reflection attracting screens of many maninstream multimedia laptops.

Token Ring
georg

[ Edited ]

EricG1793 wrote:

The fan is fairly quiet, but it turns itself off an on frequently, and when it turns on, it starts out on a high speed, then slowly works its way down to a dull, low-pitched moan, so for the time being, I notice it every time it comes on. I hope I get used to it.

If i would find fan noise to be disturbing, i would check which combination of BIOS and Embedded Controller is installed. Here are instructions on how to check BIOS / Embedded Controller version:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-75280#version

The readme file for BIOS 1.14 and Embedded Controller 1.07 mentions:

- (New) Improved thermal control.

If i would have a L412 with such problems, i would probably flash the most recent BIOS / Embedded Controller. I would also install the latest

• System Interface Driver, which is part of a group of drivers called Hotkey Features Integration,
  • Power Management Driver
  • Power Manager.
Punch Card
EricG1793

[ Edited ]

^ Thanks for that link! I'm still on 1.16, and as of now, the current is 1.25. I'm pretty far behind! I have gotten used to the noise patterns, but I'd still like to have it up to date anyway. In fact, reading through the list of improvements, this will deal with the problem I have with display brightness increasing by increments of 2.

Blue Screen Again
dombokfelett

I have the latest BIOS and Power Manager (driver & program) version but the very annoying fan control is still here :smileysad:
Any other suggestion? Any official information about this bug and when they will fix it?
What's DOS?
bireshwar1183

Hi I have a L412 laptop.Its key board is damaged.Can we replace the keyboard with T410/T400?