DR1964
Accepted Solution

L420 keeps returning to Rescue & Recovery on start up

Hi

I purchased two (2) Lenovo Thinkpad L420 laptops in October 2011 details:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB

System type: 64-bit OS

Whilst 1 laptop continues to work perfectly, since yesterday I have an annoying problem with the other L420.

Problem: When I turn on the laptop (or "restart") it goes straight to the "Rescue & Recovery" screen.  After reading a similar issue on this forum, I pressed the F1 button to start the laptop in BIOS mode.  And, if I press F9 to restore the factory settings the laptop then boots perfectly.  However, the issue returns at the next reboot.

I hope someone can help to fix this frustrating problem.

Thanks in advance

DR1964

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: L420 keeps returning to Rescue & Recovery on start up

Kindly make sure after the notebook starts it is not interrupted by any key.

If this is not the scenario then start the notebook and update the BIOS.

Kindly download the BIOS update from the mentioned below web link.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8guj09us.exe

The issue should be fix after updating the BIOS.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Paper Tape
DR1964

Hi Tanuj

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Last night, before reading your reply, I had spoken to a Lenovo Help Desk and they, too, suggested that updating the Bios might work. 

Taking this advice, I updated all the relevant "critical" & "optional/non critical" files from the Lenovo "TVSU" programme.  At first nothing improved - the laptop still kept booting to "Rescue & Recovery" mode.

In frustration, I gave up and went to bed.

This morning, again before reading your message, I powered on the laptop and nearly fell off my chair when it booted perfectly! I decided to check for consistency and I've shut down/restarted several times and, so far, the laptop is consistently functioning perfectly again.  Perhaps, the BIOS updates from the Lenovo TVSU needed time to take effect?

Since everything is working well again, I've saved the file you've given but haven't installed it.  Is that ok, or should I also install this update you've provided?

Again, thanks for your time and help.

Dean

Paper Tape
ejcrist

We have this issue, too. We updated the BIOS on all of them and the issue went away for "most". I've had 3-4 that, even with the BIOS update, still would go to R&R.

NOTE: Even after you update the BIOS, still go right into the BIOS and press F9 for the defaults.
tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Hello Dean,

Good to know that your system is working fine.

You can keep the updated BIOS file and run it after working on the system for couple of days.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

DR1964 wrote:

Hi Tanuj

Perhaps, the BIOS updates from the Lenovo TVSU needed time to take effect?

Hello Dean,

Just a WAG on my part, but maybe you needed a cold boot after that BIOS update, rather than just a reboot.

Is it possible that's what happened?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество