Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
beovvulf

L421 Displayport to DVI

I am using a L421 with Windows 7 and I want to connect it to my external monitor (NEC AS191WM) via DVI-D, so I purchased a generic Displayport to DVI-D cable.  When I hooked everything up, the monitor shows "no signal" on the screen.  When I use VGA it works with no issues.  I want to use the DVI-D because the VGA connector is not very secure on the laptop (i.e.. I keep accidentally disconnecting it) and I want to get the little boost in quality that comes with a digital connection over analog.  I do not have access to another monitor to test the cable, or I would have tried that.  Is there anything else I can try to get this to work?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,236
Solutions: 1,324

Re: L421 Displayport to DVI

it is hard to say whether this is a cable problem, monitor problem, converter problem or the laptop problem without having a second laptop or second monitor to test.

I assume you got the discrete GPU right? try to output to the DP using the discrete GPU control panel rather than the windows version.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
beovvulf

I do not have discrete graphics, and the Intel graphics controls do not mention displayport at all.
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,236
Solutions: 1,324

go into your BIOS under display there is an option to output to external LCD through displayport only (or digital video or something).

Connect the laptop to the external display + external keyboard, start the laptop and close the internal LCD, and see whether anything pops up on the external display. If it doesn't, then it could mean:

1. LCD DVI port is broken.
2. DVI cable is not functioning correctly.
3. DP to DVI converter is not working.
4. DP is broken.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft