Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
ghorwin

L520 - keyboard acts strange, already in BIOS

Hi there,

problem with my new L520. Today (after installing a printer & running windows update) I noticed that pressing Windows key causes volume increase. Other keys cause weird behavior too. For example, pressing w causes the CapsLock to toggle (visible on the Windows/Lenovo Icon on screen and LED state).
First guess: windows problem.

Started BIOS to check settings: strangely, pressing w causes CapsLock LED to toggle in the BIOS!? So, can't be an OS problem, right?

Has anyone had a similar issue? Since I get this problem before OS booting, I would assume it's a hardware problem. Or is there anyone having a similar problem and has a solution for it?

Thanks for suggestions,

Andreas

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: L520 - keyboard acts strange, already in BIOS

Hello Andreas,

Kindly update the BIOS and check if the issue resolves.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8guj09us.exe

You may also check with connecting external keyboard, if the external keyboard works fine then it is the issue with the notebook keyboard.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Fanfold Paper
jasonbolton

In addition to Tanuj reply, Once you have updated the BIOS or if you are already on the latest BIOS reset the BIOS to Default Settings.
Hope that also helps.
Fanfold Paper
Ck_asdf

Not sure if my problem was exactly the same as yours, as it "fixed" itself once I rebooted the computer, 'till the next time it appeared. I recommend you watch my youtube video and read the thread linked below, as someone else has this problem with their L520 (I've got an L420).

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/R-and-L-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/L520-keyboard-prints-bollocks/m-p/640939...

http://youtu.be/RHM-Oo3MfJE
---------Thinkpad L420 / Model 7854-CTO
Core i5-2410M / 4GB RAM / 500 GB HDD
Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7 Home Premium
What's DOS?
DesperateDreams

Hi everyone,

I bought an L520 about a year ago and I had the same problem with the keyboard and the touchpad from the beginning. Rebooting "solves" the problem until it appears again. 

I had the laptop "repaired" for four times at the Lenovo Technical Service in Madrid (Spain) and they kept saying that my keyboard and touchpad were "wrongly configured" or that it was a problem with the antivirus or with some software that I had installed. What they did every time was reinstalling Windows7 and that was it. Great thing to have to reinstall and reconfigure all your programs and profiles and preferences... knowing for sure that's not going to be of any use!

I also tried writing to Lenovo directly, but I had no answer at all.

I sincerely regret to have bought this laptop. I use it almost for everything (besides from working, of course), and it's turning my life into a nightmare!