Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
L520dude

Re: L520 keyboard prints bollocks

So, one and a half weeks after installing Windows again with the CD:s Lenovo sent me there have been no signs of the problem. Now it might be that it's just taking longer than usual and that I'm jinxing myself with this post, but for the others experiencing the same problem it might be worth a try to call Lenovo and ask them for the installation CD:s for your OS (unless you possess some already). Unless the problem reappears I will probably post an update in a few weeks.

Fanfold Paper
Ck_asdf

Good to hear. My computer hasn't done the same for a while, either. May have been some weird driver issue.
However, I have a new problem - Lenovo replaced my keyboard due to some physical issues with it, and the new one is worse than the original. It's documented in my thread, "My extreme displeasure with Lenovo."

Keep us updated!
---------Thinkpad L420 / Model 7854-CTO
Core i5-2410M / 4GB RAM / 500 GB HDD
Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7 Home Premium
Paper Tape
darthvegan

Sorry for the delayed response, but my keyboard layout is definitely set correctly to the US.

I'll try reimaging the laptop to its original state as a previous poster stated to see if that corrects the problem.

Fanfold Paper
Ck_asdf

So, update #387.

Lenovo shipped me a new keyboard, though I discovered in the process of replacing it that the problem was that a screw under the keyboard was too tight, causing the weird stiff keys.

Back to our "bollocks" situation, this happened to me again today. Keep in mind that this is a brand new keyboard and motherboard. I think it may be the original Windows install (I've got two hard drives, I'm currently using the one that came with the laptop), so perhaps it's an OS bug.

However, I caught this bizarre activity on camera. You can see it on youtube here:
http://youtu.be/RHM-Oo3MfJE
Paper Tape
L520dude

[ Edited ]

So, another update as promised. Unfortunately the keyboard went into bollocks mode again, although I'm surprised it lasted for three weeks without any problems. One new problem appeared after reinstalling the OS though: if I overexert the computer it shuts down by itself. Watching three videos at once is enough to make it shut down immediately.

Anyway, I called up Lenovo again and they took the computer away for repairs. Let's see if anything is fixed once it gets back from Germany or wherever they usually do the maintenance.

Fanfold Paper
Ck_asdf

Any updates? I'm in the process of communication with Lenovo to work out a replacement for my machine.
Paper Tape
L520dude

So after almost two months since the motherboard replacement there have been no signs of bollocks mode happening again for me. I basically consider the problem fixed now but if anything new happens I will keep you guys up to date. To anyone who is still suffering from it I can only recommend to use your warranty and get a new motherboard from Lenovo. That's all, and good luck.

Paper Tape
L520dude

So after six months of normal use without problems bollocks mode happens again. Let's see how frequently it will appear this time. I'm probably out of warranty, too.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,325
Solutions: 285

[ Edited ]

L520dude,

I would check the keyboard cable connection to the system board carefully.  Connect / reconnect it.   Check along the length of the keyboard cable for any signs of rubbing, pinches or scratches that could cause a short.

It is possible that you had a quirky systemboard, but seems unlikely to be the cause since it has happened twice to you, and if we had that kind of an inherent issue with systemboards that you would experience it twice, we'd have a lot of others complaining about it.  I suspect it may have more to do with the tolerances of your system and that perhaps the assembly / disassembly process of replacing the systemboard solved an issue with the keyboard or cable (just my opinion).   

Hence my suggestion above.  Please keep us posted, and sorry that this keeps cropping up - I can appreciate that it would be very frustrating!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

What's DOS?
jedstern

We have 6 new L520 units at our school that have the same issue about once a week, rebooting restores keyboard function. I'm hoping a bios upgrade will fix the fault/bug.