Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
johnoshea

Re: L520 - random sleep and constant fan

hi guys,

i too am annoyed by the fan noise and its blowing cold air all the time so i don't think it needs to be on all the time...

i am new to tpfancontrol. could you please share what settings you are using?

thank you in advance for your help.

Fanfold Paper
Alpo

Betreff: L520 - random sleep and constant fan

So, any word from Mark_lenovo about the update?

ibmthink wrote:

I sent a PN to Mark_lenovo. I hope there will be a BIOS-Update.

Broadband 3G
ibmthink

Sadly not. You can try it too. That helps maybe. 

Broadband 3G
ibmthink

Ok, here is Marks answer: 

"Yes,

Thanks... It is on my issue list. I think this was just slower to build than the X and T threads. I've been working with some turnover on our team and so have regretably let some things simmer longer than I would like as I'm spread a bit thin. I do intend to tackle this soon. Apologies for leaving you guys hanging...

I'll probably need to get a sample eventually to get engineering working on this.

Mark" 

Good news. :smileyvery-happy:

Fanfold Paper
Alpo

ibmthink wrote:

Ok, here is Marks answer: 

"Yes,

Thanks... It is on my issue list. I think this was just slower to build than the X and T threads. I've been working with some turnover on our team and so have regretably let some things simmer longer than I would like as I'm spread a bit thin. I do intend to tackle this soon. Apologies for leaving you guys hanging...

I'll probably need to get a sample eventually to get engineering working on this.

Mark" 

Good news. :smileyvery-happy:

Heh, it only took good 9 months. Now let's wait 3+ months and then I think we are back in business! :smileyhappy: I can already see a fully working L520 laptop cheering up my day.

Paper Tape
ChriSti

@Marks answer: as I wait with a new buy for my brother I hope the solution will be available in the next 4-6 weeks (buy wished before the end of march)... Thx

What's DOS?
luma

[ Edited ]

Hello,

has the problem been fixed?

I'm considering buying this laptop mainly because it comes out as the least noisy on notebookchecks.net reviews.

But if it has this constant fan noise problem, I think I should look elsewhere.

Retired Employee
NINE

Hi guys,

Was checking running through the forums and stmbled upon this thread. I understand this thread has been running for sometime and when i came accross it want o see if i can help out in anyway. 

From what i've read through it appreas that many of your have uninstalled the TPFanControl, and has worked for most of you. It may not be the best fix but i must agree it is somewhat of a work around.

If you don't min, couyou guys PM me System details and what you have done so far. Be sure to let me know of the serial number of the machine as well as the MTM : this can be found underneath the the system where the bar code is as i'd like to see if the relevant teams can work on this case for you guys.

Details of the needed info can be found below.

Customer details:

• First and Last Name
• Contact Phone Number
• Email Address
• Mailing Address
• Country of customers resided
• Case Number (provided by service centre)
• Date of Purchase (optional)

• Machine Family
• Machine Type Model
• Machine Serial Number

Hope to hear from you guys. 

What's DOS?
DavidRM

Solved for me!  But what a phenomenol chore to register on this forum, which speaks even more badly of Lenovo ... 8 re-attempts (username conflicts, captcha, and wanting resetting the language to German by default every time the register process failed)

I was just handed a year old L520 to fix something else and immediately noted the fan constantly on.  Getting sick of both Lenovo and their computers, we only have a few but they're all problematic - appalling lack of action by Lenovo on this particular issue, although since we now only buy HP or Dell I've stopped worrying overly much. 

This was pretty much what I did to eventually solve it:

1) Uninstalling the power manager software (and there was a driver next to it in the installer which I got rid of too).

2) Disabling the "ThinkPad PM Device" in device manager (I did this elsewhere as part of a cure on another Lenovo which was freezing on AC power) ... might have done another restart before this, not sure.

3) Restart, but still whirring away like mad so it must be the bios I figured, but that was a dead end, at which point I went straight for a simpler solution

4) Installed TPFanControl 6.2 which is the latest at the moment (just google it, but don't use the sourceforge link, use uni-marbourg).  Left it on defaults.

5) Restart to blissful silence from the fan

6) To stop the TP control panel opening at start up I edited the TPFanControl.ini (listed in the program group) changing the line from StartMinimized=0 to StartMinimized=1

Now all I have to do is rip out the other dodgy Lenovo software and get this laptop back to it's hopefully happy user.  Then track down all our Lenovo laptop users and ask if they hate the fan noise. 

D

What's DOS?
DavidRM

Forgot to add, that the PM device keeps trying to update even though it's disabled, so untick that in windows update.