alextui

Re: L520 - random sleep and constant fan

I will try this instructions on my R61, thanks

acoolme

Retired Employee
NINE

Hi all,

My appologies for not responding in a timely maner as alot on my plate at the moment. Just to let you know that you are not forgotten in anyway. I've been back and forth with our engineering side on this case and sadly were unable to replicate the issue. At one point we thought that we had it replicated but we just couldn't matched to what you all were facing.

Now in this regards. Would be possible for anyone in this thread be willing to loan us your machine for the engineering side for testing. At least this will give us a better idea what triggered it and solution for all can be properly met.

Do let me via PM if any is willing to voluteer for this cause.

Thanks in advace.

Regards

Fanfold Paper
Alpo

Perhaps someone could make a video on the problem and upload that to Youtube? The video could show a laptop in use with and without tpfancontrol.

Paper Tape
Tyrone

I think you should take into account that people in this thread are reporting two different issues:

- tpfancontrol (which is not supported anyways) sometimes reads crazy temperatures from the cpu-thermal diode. This is 40°C in one second, 88°C in the next, and then 40°C again. This leads to abnormal behaviour of the fan of course. A couple of Lenovo-hotkeys seem to be triggered from time to time as well, without anyone actually touching them. Even random sleep occurs, whick of course is very annoying. This can be replicated by installing tpfancontrol and toying around with it for a while. Workarounds involve either uninstalling tpfancontrol, or uninstalling a couple of power manager-related drivers and software. Perhaps an engineer could have a little chat with Troubadix (http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html) and help him out, since he doesn't really seem to get his head around the strange behaviour the L-series at the moment. That would be very nice of you and greatly appreciated in the ThinkPad-community, but I guess everybody understands that you don't actually HAVE to help us with our ThinkPad-hacking :smileywink:
The reason why people use tpfancontrol with the L520 in the first place is the actual issue this thread was about.
- the fan is constantly on and never shuts up. Never. As far as I remember it starts running as soon as the machine is started and just keeps running constantly, whatever the temperature of the cpu/machine actually is. That wouldn't be much of an issue if we were talking T-series style fan-noise, but the L-series fans are much louder, so much so that they become an annoyance in more quite environments. And this is the issue we would really love you guys having an enigneer look into. 

Replicating the issue would involve starting a L520, changing the fan-behaviour in Windows Energy-Settings (or TV Energy Manager, if you like) to "passive", listening to the fan and realizing that nothing changes :smileywink:

Thanks! 

Punch Card
Bardamu

[ Edited ]

Tyrone wrote:

I think you should take into account that people in this thread are reporting two different issues:

- tpfancontrol (which is not supported anyways) sometimes reads crazy temperatures from the cpu-thermal diode. This is 40°C in one second, 88°C in the next, and then 40°C again. This leads to abnormal behaviour of the fan of course. A couple of Lenovo-hotkeys seem to be triggered from time to time as well, without anyone actually touching them. Even random sleep occurs, whick of course is very annoying. This can be replicated by installing tpfancontrol and toying around with it for a while. Workarounds involve either uninstalling tpfancontrol, or uninstalling a couple of power manager-related drivers and software. Perhaps an engineer could have a little chat with Troubadix (http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html) and help him out, since he doesn't really seem to get his head around the strange behaviour the L-series at the moment. That would be very nice of you and greatly appreciated in the ThinkPad-community, but I guess everybody understands that you don't actually HAVE to help us with our ThinkPad-hacking :smileywink:
The reason why people use tpfancontrol with the L520 in the first place is the actual issue this thread was about.
- the fan is constantly on and never shuts up. Never. As far as I remember it starts running as soon as the machine is started and just keeps running constantly, whatever the temperature of the cpu/machine actually is. That wouldn't be much of an issue if we were talking T-series style fan-noise, but the L-series fans are much louder, so much so that they become an annoyance in more quite environments. And this is the issue we would really love you guys having an enigneer look into. 

Replicating the issue would involve starting a L520, changing the fan-behaviour in Windows Energy-Settings (or TV Energy Manager, if you like) to "passive", listening to the fan and realizing that nothing changes :smileywink:

Thanks! 

I agree wholeheartedly!

NINE, do you have any news from the team that you forwarded the issue to?

Retired Employee
NINE

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience and i understand this issue has been running for long. A new bios has been released that addresses your issues. The new bios Version is the V1.17. Could you give a try and let me know. The link for the download can be found below. 

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013593

Do let me know guys.

regards

Broadband 3G
ibmthink

Sadly, it is not really better, the fan is running when I am browsing the web the whole time.

What's DOS?
blur

here too, fan is constantly running,

I have 1.17 in use about 10 days.

Paper Tape
TheGh0st

At first, thank you very much for finally looking at the L520s issues, honestly it's about time.

It's great to see the heating issue fixed, it appeared randomly at my model.

Unfortunately, the constant fan is not fixed here too.

Retired Employee
NINE

Hi all thank you for the feed back. I'll talk to the engineering side agagin and see what the issue is. Will get back to you as soon as i can. To other that have yet to try out the new bios, please do post your results here.

Regards