Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Bardamu

Re: L520 - random sleep and constant fan

Properly uninstalling everything related to Lenovo power management did the trick for me as well.

I am also missing the on-screen notifications, but I actually like it more without them anyway.

I am really grateful that my computer is now functioning almost to my satisfaction. (Missing the Lenovo power options is a bit of a bummer, but is at least not preventing me from using the laptop.)

I wish I had Lenovo to thank for my laptop actually working as it should, but instead I luckily have troubadix and TPfancontrol to thank.

As it is, the original issue still stands: these problems, which we are discussing, are the result of end users trying to fix what Lenovo should have fixed a long time ago, namely the constant fan noise.

Paper Tape
Martin_Smith

Is there is still no BIOS upgrade for the L520 that addresses the noisy constant fan issue? I know that Lenovo addressed some issues (e.g. CPU throttling, fan pulsing) that flagged up with the W520 and T520 series. Bardamu, you must be using TPFC in smart mode then. Can you tell us more about the fan behaviour now? At which temperature does it switch on? How noise is fan level 1? What power options are you missing? Would you recommend the L520 to others or do you wish you would have gone for a different model or brand? Thank you!
Punch Card
Bardamu

[ Edited ]

I would actually still recommend the L520, but with the disclaimer that you have to be prepared to uninstall everything related to Lenovo power management and then get to know TPFC.

As for lost functionality, I'm mostly concerned about losing the ability to extend the overall life expectancy of the battery through Lenovo power manager.

When doing light work such as writing or surfing the web the fan very rarely comes on using smart mode in TPFC, when the fan is set to activate at 55 degrees celcius. (You can specify thresholds yourself in the ini-file.) Temperature mostly stays below or about 50.

When the fan does eventually come on, even the lowest setting is somewhat intrusive compared to the otherwise almost silent operation (the hard drive has a habit of spinning up and down occasionally), but nothing that really bothers me as the fan is off the large majority of the time.

Paper Tape
Martin_Smith

Bardamu wrote:

As for lost functionality, I'm mostly concerned about losing the ability to extend the overall life expectancy of the battery through Lenovo power manager.

When the fan does eventually come on, even the lowest setting is somewhat intrusive compared to the otherwise almost silent operation (the hard drive has a habit of spinning up and down occasionally), but nothing that really bothers me as the fan is off the large majority of the time.

Elsewhere, a L520 user reported that the last power management settings for the battery stay active even after the Lenovo power management has been uninstalled. I'm not sure how that would work though. Do you have a different impression?

Why do Lenovo have not set a lower fan speed of let's say 1500 rpm for level 1? What's going on in the minds of their engineers? It's a business machine. It got to be silent.

Punch Card
Bardamu

Martin_Smith wrote:

Bardamu wrote:

Elsewhere, a L520 user reported that the last power management settings for the battery stay active even after the Lenovo power management has been uninstalled. I'm not sure how that would work though. Do you have a different impression?

I certainly hope that is true! I hadn't even thought to check that. I just figured it would automatically revert any changes at the point of uninstall.

Paper Tape
ChriSti

Please Lenovo: can you not enhance BIOS and Power Management for ThinkPad L520? Is TPFC without on-screen notifications and Mic-Off button the only way to have a quiet system (for surf, office, hd-video)?

Fanfold Paper
Alpo

Okay, we have some eight months of discussion about fan issue here. What has happened since we started? Is there a fix? Do we have an official word from Lenovo that something is going to happen? We've got nothing! 

This is a forum where people with problems and comments on Lenovo products can share their thoughts. Also there should be interaction between consumers and Lenovo. It means that when there is a problem users come here, then the word goes out to Lenovo. What should happen next is that we get a response that something is being done. That part is missing here. We have a serious fault here and there is not a single reply on this thread from Lenovo that something is being done, not to mention a fix.

Since I bought L520 I was asked twice to help out choosing a laptop. Neither of those were Lenovo, but  other brand. Now once again a friend of mine asked what laptop she should buy and wanted some techical support. There could be some other models that are working better, but I'm hesitating. You surely can guess the reason.

What's DOS?
malcom12390

Betreff: L520 - random sleep and constant fan

I have one suggestion which may or may not apply to you, but you open power manager to:
Change system temperature
Optimize fan speed to -Maximize performance or Balance all Paramaters
Or
Change CPU speed to adaptive, lower or lowest? 

Broadband 3G
ibmthink

I sent a PN to Mark_lenovo. I hope there will be a BIOS-Update.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
johnoshea

does this problem still occur on New 2012 purchases? 

is there a Bios update that fixes this issue? 

how easy is it to set up and use the tpfancontrol application?