Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
pspkiller91

L520 randomly wakes from standby

I'm having a rather unusual problem that I cannot seem to be able to fix.

My L520 will sometimes wake a few seconds after putting it into standby. First, background information.

It gets used mostly as a 'portable desktop', in that it sits on my desk most of the time and only gets moved a few times a month. It's never run off its battery as I've had to disable the battery in Device Manager to make it play nice with my Firewire audio interface (Focusrite Saffirre Pro 24), meaning I have no battery monitoring. It will run off battery but I have no indication of how much juice is left. The computer is used as a day-to-day things like web browsing, and for audio production (hence the audio interface).

My routine goes as follows: I'll save and close any open documents, go "Start" then "Sleep", wait until the computer has entered standby and the standby LED is lit on the front of the computer, then turn off all mains power to my desk. The computer will sit in standby drawing power from its battery to keep the RAM going. It's fine to sit like this for about a week before the battery dies and the RAM loses its contents, necessitating a normal boot-up.

I've tried leaving mains power on but it seems not to have made any difference. It has also been occurring more frequently as of late, with it only happening roughly once a month before Christmas to roughly 25% of the time I put the computer into standby.

Anyone?

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: L520 randomly wakes from standby

You can test the notebook battery by installing the software Power Management 

Kindly download the software from the mentioned below web link.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8jku02ww.exe

Also, update the BIOS of the notebook and check the issue.

You can download the updated BIOS from the mentioned below web link.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8guj09us.exe

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Fanfold Paper
pspkiller91

BIOS is already up to date. I'll report back If the problem continues after installing the Power Management driver. No problems as of yet, but then I have only put the computer into standby once so far.

Thanks.

Fanfold Paper
pspkiller91

Nope. It's still doing it. Anyone got any ideas?

Fanfold Paper
pspkiller91

Anyone at all?

Fanfold Paper
Ck_asdf

While I unfortunately do not have any suggestions, and I'm not sure whether my problem was solved by a BIOS update, I've had a similar experience, though very intermittently. Unfortunately for me, I use mine on the go, so putting it to sleep, dropping it in a backpack, and having it wake itself up is obviously not acceptable. From what I'm aware of, it's never actually turned itself back on while in my bag, but I do the same - tell the computer to sleep, watch for the sleep indicator, wait a few seconds for the HDD to spin down, then move the computer. Usually in that period of time, or while I start loading it in the backpack, I'd hear it beep, alerting me to its waking up.

---------Thinkpad L420 / Model 7854-CTO
Core i5-2410M / 4GB RAM / 500 GB HDD
Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7 Home Premium